Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How Many Are Self Taught?

Thirty years ago, I wanted to make a quilt. I had sewn for awhile so I thought, no problem, I have a pattern and I can follow it. WRONG!!! I didn't realize how different quilting would be from sewing clothes. I quit, until I found a class in the early 80's, what a difference a few little tips can make. I haven't taken a class for years now, I can usually figure most things out even without a pattern now, but there are some hints that help SO much, if you want things to come out right, with some precision.

Most everything I learn I learned from the internet :) Classes don't usually fit in to my schedule & I'd rather use the $$$$ for more fabric!

Self taught here.

never taken a class...though I learn alot from my aunt and grandma.

My grandmother quilted but I just remember watching her and the ladies at her church sitting around a quilting frame together at the Church when I was a small child. Don't actually remember seeing her doing the piecing, etc. I self taught myself when I got pregnant with my first child back in 1973. Did about half a dozen quilts using polyester knits and then picked it up again about ten years ago. Took my first class at local quilt guild a couple of years ago after quilting off and on for 30 years.

Self Taught, been sewing all my life,always loved quilts but didn't know I could do them until 2004. Looked at mags. bought books did trial and error, sew and rip :lol: Never had a class would like to one day.
    BillsBonBon

I am self taught as well. When I started sewing and quilting I don't think there were many, if any, classes near my rural area. And anyways, I didn't have the extra money to spend on classes. I bought a book on quilting and questioned anyone in my family who had ever quilted or helped to quilt. My great-grandmother( who was deceased at that time), my grandmother, aunt and my husbands grandmother gave me some tips on putting a quilt in to a frame and knotting the thread and snapping in to the batting and that's about it. I watched the few sewing shows, two shows I think at that time. I made my first quilt in 1986! I, too, could take a class now if I wanted to but I would rather buy the fabric and a quilting book and figure it out on my own!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boston1954
    I mean you NEVER took a class. Everything you know about quilting is from trial and error, or books and television.

The reason I never took a class is because when I started out, I did not know they had them. By the time I realized it, I pretty much knew my way around the sewing machine. I still could take one, but now I would rather spend the $$ on more fabric. ;)

Quote Originally Posted by thismomquilts
    Self taught
    me too

Never took a class or lesson. In high school, I wouldn't have been caught dead in any type of "home ec" class. LOL

Blog Entries
    Self taught except what I learned from El Burns, Kaye Woods and Simply Quilts. That was a lot of learning. They used to be on all day.

Self taught...didn't even take home ec in hs. First learned to sew when my first child was born almost 50 years ago. Learned to hand sew first till I could afford a sewing machine. I remember my first sewing machine was a "new home." Many, many years ago!!

Ditter

I am self taught also. Read books and watched videos online.
    Still today alot of trial and error!

Self-taught. I worked a full-time job and had 4 kids - no time for classes.

Blog Entries
    Self taught altho I had home-ec in 7th and 8th grade. Hated the sewing part and loved the cooking. Wish now I had had paid more attention during the sewing semesters but I do read books, look on the Internet and this board of course. I'd like to take a class but don't know what in what area I'd take one.

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Self taught. I used to read the quilting books I couldn't afford--at the fabric store, try to remember what I read, then run home to try it. I don't think I could sit through a class.

Have never taken a class, was self taught from books. there is no where around here to take them. I have learned so much in the last 10 months from this board. No question is considered to stupid, and there is always somone willing to help.

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I've never taken a quilting class either, but I still might. What little I know comes from the internet and this board. I still have a long way to go!

Self taught here. I always say I'm in the Simplicity How To Sew stage of learning. Not many classes in my hometown and way too cheap to travel to one. I have two wonderful quilters in the family who help me when I SOS them but they're 700 miles away. Basically I'm sink or swim.....

Quote Originally Posted by mcdaniel023
    Self taught except what I learned from El Burns, Kaye Woods and Simply Quilts. That was a lot of learning. They used to be on all day.
    Ditto, boy do I miss Simply Quilts....

Self Taught with help from Simply Quilts. Never took a class, too busy when I worked and could afford it, now retired, and can't afford it. Besides, it would take away from my stash cash!

i am self taught, never took a class

Self taught, jumped in the middle and started to work my way out. This board is the greatest for help.

I took one class but it was horrible. she taught me VERY LITTLE. She acted like we should already know everything. I decided then that I would teach myself and do things MY WAY. I would probably never take another class. She didn't even show us how to put binding on a quilt. It was horrible.
    So, now I teach myself something new every time I sew.
    Judy in Ohio

Learned to sew as a teenager and tried my hand at quilting just 3 years ago....thank goodness for the internet!
    I am so hooked and learn something new all the time.

I was talked into taking a class with a friend about 15 years ago and hated it. Put me off quilting for about 7 years. Never again! If I can't figure it out, I'll find a book or look on the internet. Much easier way to learn, as you then learn what you want to, and at your own pace.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast