Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How many of you do your own quilting versus sending it out? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-many-you-do-your-own-quilting-versus-sending-out-t8798.html)

johnette 07-06-2008 06:42 PM

I have a king sized top done and sitting on the shelf for months now. It has too many seams to hand quilt (I don't have a frame any way). I don't think I can machine quilt it on my little ole' Singer. I have only machine quilted one crib sized qult before. I have done hand quilting and sent one top out to be done. I wasn't pleased with the result and vowed to do it my self from now on, but...there just aren't enough hours in the day. What do you all do? I'm torn because I can make a good argument with myself both ways. Help! :?

azdesertrat 07-06-2008 06:50 PM

If it is really big,I would send it out.Ireally prefer to send mine out if I can afford to do it.I really like making the tops

Up North 07-06-2008 06:52 PM

My favorite part is the quilting itself and I love doing it by hand, It may take a while but I feel it is worth it in the end.

Minda 07-06-2008 07:07 PM

I like to do my own. I've never sent one out to be quilted, but I might sometime.

purplemem 07-06-2008 07:26 PM

I have hand quilted about 9 baby quilts. I am piecing a crib size quilt right now and will hand quilt next week. I don't use a frame for these because I find it easier to manipulate.

I am making a queen size quilt for my daughter's wedding present and will send it to a long armer for quilting.

I am sending my best friend's wedding quilt to the same long armer.

I got a new frame for Mother's Day and will put a queen quilt on it in the fall and quilt all winter.

My sewing/quilting circle is quilting a queen size on a frame, it has been in the making for a year now. We don't meet every week so it takes us forever to quilt.

Purple

GMA 07-06-2008 07:27 PM

IMO if it is going to be my quilt then I want to quilt my quilt and put the finishing touches on it. JMO

mgshaw 07-06-2008 07:31 PM

Up until now I have always hand quilted them myself, but Miss Jacquemoe is fixing to get one shortly to do for me!!!!!!

tlrnhi 07-06-2008 10:51 PM

I would send one that size out to be done.
I'm sure that if you ask here, someone can give you info on GREAT sites/people to send them to.
Other than Jacquemoe, I"m sure there are others that might do it for you too.
I think it's Purplemem who gave me name of someone that will do it for you too.

mic-pa 07-07-2008 03:05 AM

I used to hand quilt all my quilts. but now my hands won't let me quilt that much. So if the quilt is lap size or smaller I do it on my machine. Anything bigger the Long armer gets it and she does a beautiful job. I have one here right now that is going to her as soon as i get the backing ready. Marge

thequiltlady08 07-07-2008 03:55 AM

I have only hand quilted. I am saving money now to buy a TinLizzie or Handiquilter... I cannot afford to have someone else do it. I love the old look one gets with hand quilting - yes it takes a long time, but I've learned that it's worth it in the end... and that if one has it sitting there available one can stitch a few stitches at odd hours. I do not use a frame either - usually do it on my lap as others are watching TV in the evening - I can be with them but do something constructive. I have just ordered an Aunt Becky tool - I hope this will help me. I'm waiting until next pay day to order a lap hoop - with a stand.