Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How Much Do You Pay For Fabrics, etc. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-do-you-pay-fabrics-etc-t101592.html)

FERSID 02-20-2011 08:38 PM

I'm wondering what my fellow QB members pay for quilting fabric where they live/shop for example:

Price per yard for medium quality quilting fabric and/or price per yard for high quality (from specific designers such as Moda, Northcott, Robt.Kaufman, etc.)

Also perhaps, typical prices for other general quilting supply needs.

The reason I'm asking is I'm in the process of setting up my Website.

There doesn't seem to be too many online fabric/notions/and misc. supplies sellers here in Canada.

We generally have to do our online shopping south of the Border and shipping/customs & duties, etc., can really take a big bite out of our pocket books. That in turn means less we can spend on our quilting supply needs.

So I hope to offer affordable items online here in Canada and of course, I will certainly welcome any business from my much appreciated and admired fellow QB members where ever they reside.

Thanks for any input you can give.

:P :?: :P :?: :P

frugalfabrics 02-20-2011 08:44 PM

medium quality fabric run for anywhere from $6-$9 a yard around my neck of the woods.

quiltingnonie 02-20-2011 08:44 PM

In my area, premium quality fabric is $8-$10/yd. The general fabrics are $6-$7 I always shop my LQS WHEN they have a sale, otherwise I buy online....at any given time, there is always someplace having a sale of quality fabric, and usually if you buy a minimum - like $50, you get free shipping.

DogHouseMom 02-20-2011 08:47 PM

$8.00 - $9.00 for good quality at LQS, batiks usually around $10.00 and I just saw some Moda Hand Dye's for $10.99 - they look like batiks. I didn't buy any.

And while typing this I see an ad directly above me that advertise $5.96/yard at Batik Paradise by Connecting Threads.... must check that out!!

Tropical 02-20-2011 09:48 PM

I usually pay $6.99 - $10.05 at the LQS. My last purchase was Moda for $6.99, Kona Cotton Black for $9.29, Laurel Burch for $7.99 and Benartex for $10.05. I bought fabric at Hobby Lobby for $4.89. It was on sale at 30% off. It varies at JoAnn. I have learned not to buy the less expensive fabric there because it is often of poorer quality. Hobby Lobby doesn't have a lot of fabric choices, but I can find designs there I can't find elsewhere and it is often on sale.

sew_southern 02-20-2011 09:58 PM

$8.99-$10.99 for good quality fabric at LQS. $6.99 and up for medium quality at craft stores.

quilterella 02-21-2011 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by FERSID
I'm wondering what my fellow QB members pay for quilting fabric where they live/shop for example:

Price per yard for medium quality quilting fabric and/or price per yard for high quality (from specific designers such as Moda, Northcott, Robt.Kaufman, etc.)

Also perhaps, typical prices for other general quilting supply needs.

The reason I'm asking is I'm in the process of setting up my Website.

There doesn't seem to be too many online fabric/notions/and misc. supplies sellers here in Canada.

We generally have to do our online shopping south of the Border and shipping/customs & duties, etc., can really take a big bite out of our pocket books. That in turn means less we can spend on our quilting supply needs.

So I hope to offer affordable items online here in Canada and of course, I will certainly welcome any business from my much appreciated and admired fellow QB members where ever they reside.

Thanks for any input you can give.

:P :?: :P :?: :P

I know what you mean...I pay anywhere from $12.99 to 21.99 a metre/yd depending on what I'm looking for. I had to get batting the other day for DGD quilt and was looking at various prices while I was there. This was an older QS that kinda smelled musty and had no new lines...go figure! As much as I hate to, I order online, Connecting Threads, Thousands of Bolts and BearPaw Quilting. I noticed even the online prices are increasing gradually. Duty doesn't enter into it often, mostly shipping charges. It will be nice to have another Canadian online shop...good luck with your endeavor!

peaceandjoy 02-21-2011 04:06 AM

LQS fabric is now $9 - $9.60/yd. Mennonite stores prices are up to $6 - $6.60/yd. I always look for sales!

Deborah12687 02-21-2011 04:18 AM

I haven't been buying any fabric lately so I really don't know how much fabric is costing. Trying to down size so I can buy more later on.

TexasSunshine 02-21-2011 04:40 AM

I use my coupons from Hancocks, Joanns, Hobby Lobby and can get good buys that way. Hobby Lobby nearly every week has a 40% off coupon in their ad and online for regular price fabric. I try to buy backing fabric, muslin, kona cotton, notions or batting with it. They always have their cottons 30% off.