Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: How Much Do You Pay For Fabrics, etc.

I'm wondering what my fellow QB members pay for quilting fabric where they live/shop for example:

Price per yard for medium quality quilting fabric and/or price per yard for high quality (from specific designers such as Moda, Northcott, Robt.Kaufman, etc.)

Also perhaps, typical prices for other general quilting supply needs.

The reason I'm asking is I'm in the process of setting up my Website.

There doesn't seem to be too many online fabric/notions/and misc. supplies sellers here in Canada.

We generally have to do our online shopping south of the Border and shipping/customs & duties, etc., can really take a big bite out of our pocket books. That in turn means less we can spend on our quilting supply needs.

So I hope to offer affordable items online here in Canada and of course, I will certainly welcome any business from my much appreciated and admired fellow QB members where ever they reside.

Thanks for any input you can give.

:P :?: :P :?: :P

medium quality fabric run for anywhere from $6-$9 a yard around my neck of the woods.

In my area, premium quality fabric is $8-$10/yd. The general fabrics are $6-$7 I always shop my LQS WHEN they have a sale, otherwise I buy online....at any given time, there is always someplace having a sale of quality fabric, and usually if you buy a minimum - like $50, you get free shipping.

$8.00 - $9.00 for good quality at LQS, batiks usually around $10.00 and I just saw some Moda Hand Dye's for $10.99 - they look like batiks. I didn't buy any.

And while typing this I see an ad directly above me that advertise $5.96/yard at Batik Paradise by Connecting Threads.... must check that out!!

Blog Entries
    I usually pay $6.99 - $10.05 at the LQS. My last purchase was Moda for $6.99, Kona Cotton Black for $9.29, Laurel Burch for $7.99 and Benartex for $10.05. I bought fabric at Hobby Lobby for $4.89. It was on sale at 30% off. It varies at JoAnn. I have learned not to buy the less expensive fabric there because it is often of poorer quality. Hobby Lobby doesn't have a lot of fabric choices, but I can find designs there I can't find elsewhere and it is often on sale.

$8.99-$10.99 for good quality fabric at LQS. $6.99 and up for medium quality at craft stores.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FERSID
    I'm wondering what my fellow QB members pay for quilting fabric where they live/shop for example:

Price per yard for medium quality quilting fabric and/or price per yard for high quality (from specific designers such as Moda, Northcott, Robt.Kaufman, etc.)

Also perhaps, typical prices for other general quilting supply needs.

The reason I'm asking is I'm in the process of setting up my Website.

There doesn't seem to be too many online fabric/notions/and misc. supplies sellers here in Canada.

We generally have to do our online shopping south of the Border and shipping/customs & duties, etc., can really take a big bite out of our pocket books. That in turn means less we can spend on our quilting supply needs.

So I hope to offer affordable items online here in Canada and of course, I will certainly welcome any business from my much appreciated and admired fellow QB members where ever they reside.

Thanks for any input you can give.

:P :?: :P :?: :P
    I know what you mean...I pay anywhere from $12.99 to 21.99 a metre/yd depending on what I'm looking for. I had to get batting the other day for DGD quilt and was looking at various prices while I was there. This was an older QS that kinda smelled musty and had no new lines...go figure! As much as I hate to, I order online, Connecting Threads, Thousands of Bolts and BearPaw Quilting. I noticed even the online prices are increasing gradually. Duty doesn't enter into it often, mostly shipping charges. It will be nice to have another Canadian online shop...good luck with your endeavor!

LQS fabric is now $9 - $9.60/yd. Mennonite stores prices are up to $6 - $6.60/yd. I always look for sales!

I haven't been buying any fabric lately so I really don't know how much fabric is costing. Trying to down size so I can buy more later on.

I use my coupons from Hancocks, Joanns, Hobby Lobby and can get good buys that way. Hobby Lobby nearly every week has a 40% off coupon in their ad and online for regular price fabric. I try to buy backing fabric, muslin, kona cotton, notions or batting with it. They always have their cottons 30% off.

Well, in my area, I'm paying $16/m for average quality, $19-$22/m for good quality. I'm in Canada. I do most of my shopping online from the states and pay half that...INCLUDING shipping, duties, taxes, etc. If you can offer similar prices to what I pay in the US, I will very likely become a "frequent flier" at your online shop!

We have two LQS in my area, and both have fabrics
    $8.00-$10.00.

Our LQS is between 8-10 a yard. Good quality fabric. If I am putting that much work into a quilt I will pay the money for good fabric. Have had good luck at Joannes too with coupons.

try www.fabric.com 1.74-9.99 / yd - they have a huge assortment of fabrics for $1.95 / yd - I really enjoy shopping there.

i buy all my fabric online and i never pay more than $6 a yard

None of My LQS are below $10.00 per yard now. There may be an odd bolt below that but it's only because they missed it when they were increasing the prices. Some are now at $11.50. Batik with matellic are the highest priced.
    The price increases has hit battings as well.

Blog Entries
    the one LQS by me is around $11-15 a yard at the most expensive one, and $9-11 for the cheaper ones.

I buy online often because I can't see myself paying that much in a place I'm not comfortable in.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasSunshine
    I use my coupons from Hancocks, Joanns, Hobby Lobby and can get good buys that way. Hobby Lobby nearly every week has a 40% off coupon in their ad and online for regular price fabric. I try to buy backing fabric, muslin, kona cotton, notions or batting with it. They always have their cottons 30% off.
    Joann and Hobby Lobby seemed to have gone up on their fabric and less quality even using the coupon seems high for the quality.

Blog Entries
    The price of fabric is unreal. It's just like the price of gas. Keeps going up. I paid 8.50 a yard for some the other day. I thought that was ghastly.

Blog Entries
    I've been shopping my stash and it's working. Hope to never have to buy another yard of fabric again. I work slowly, finishing one quilt before starting another and that helps greatly in controling any spending. Prices are horrendous ............ and not just fabric!

I think weather conditions hurt the cotton crop in recent times.

:lol: Far too much, but that is British import duty for you!

I'm from Ontario as well and we only have Fabricland and Len's Mills local. I look forward to seeing your new online website for shopping. Do you have a 'name' for it yet so I can look it up?

I don't like to pay more than 5.00 yd...

Hi and thanks for your interest.

I'm still tossing around some name ideas but hope to have one registered shortly.

I've been getting a lot of really great responses from everyone.

Seems even though prices in the US are lower than here, by the time you account for the exchange rates and shipping up here to Canada, it works out close to what we're paying up here now.

I hope to find suppliers with decent prices so I can offer fabrics Online to us "Canucks" at equally decent prices - I won't be carrying as many overhead costs as storefront retailers which in turn should allow me to keep my pricing low(er).

I'm keeping track of all responses received and will let everyone know when my Website is up and running and I have "stuff" to offer.

Regards,
    Denise

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast