Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much fabric do you purchase? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-fabric-do-you-purchase-t7040.html)

mary705 05-11-2008 03:30 PM

I definately miss the fabric at Walmart, they are just around the corner from me and open 24 hours. I could feed my "fabric habit" whenever I wanted.

sunflower 05-11-2008 06:03 PM

I will usually only buy fabric on impulse if it is on sale. There had been some floral fabric in a store that I had admired for some time but it was $19.98 a yard. One day I wandered in and it was 75% off. I bought 8 yards and have since matched it up with several other fabrics for a quilt I started last fall.

tlrnhi 05-11-2008 06:13 PM

Originally Posted by sunflower
I will usually only buy fabric on impulse if it is on sale. There had been some floral fabric in a store that I had admired for some time but it was $19.98 a yard. One day I wandered in and it was 75% off. I bought 8 yards and have since matched it up with several other fabrics for a quilt I started last fall.

Holy Mackeral Batman!!
$19.98/yard? Did it have gold in it and did it do housework?

beachlady 05-11-2008 07:00 PM

For $19.98 a yard it certainly ought to do something!! Maybe sew itself. The most I've paid is 10.98 and it is part of a UFO for my daughter. Hope I finish it some day!!

Elly 05-12-2008 11:55 PM

If I truly love it -3yards
On sale- As much as I can afford
borders-2 yards
Accent Color -1/2 to 1 yard

mary705 05-13-2008 12:57 AM

according to my kids and husband, TOO much, until they see the finished quilts, eventually finished quilts.

sunflower 05-13-2008 11:36 AM

Hi I live in Canada and fabric is more expensive there. It was actually $19.98 a meter which is 39 inches instead of 36. I got it at $4.99 a meter which is a good price even by Joann standards. It is a very vibrant floral pattern with lots of colours to coordinate and contrast with and it sews up very well. The dark aqua background did not run when I preshrunk it and I think I got a good deal on it. I live in a border city with the States and I do go to the Joann store sometimes so I can compare prices and values. Sometimes Joann's just doesn't have what I want. Sunflower

QuiltingTurtle 05-13-2008 11:53 AM

I usually buy 1 yard cuts. Unless I am buying for something specific of course. If I am getting a really good deal I will try to buy atleast 4 yards or the end of the bolt.

rubymae 05-14-2008 03:07 PM

if its a single piece I LOVE...I buy 3 yards....figure I can find sometime in my stash or buy 'go with' fabrics at a later date.

If has co ordinates that I like as well, I buy at least 1.5

rubymae 05-14-2008 03:18 PM

if its a single piece I LOVE...I buy 3 yards....figure I can find sometime in my stash or buy 'go with' fabrics at a later date.

If has co ordinates that I like as well, I buy at least 1 1/2 yards of each (figuring I may find something to go in my stash),

We have a local fabric store that is a full block big (honest!!) and they have a 40% off sale about every 6 weeks....I try to buy TOT/blenders in 2 1/2 increments if I have the funds then.

I keep what I dont use for one project for other projects or scrappy quilts