Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How much should I charge??? help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-much-should-i-charge-help-t205340.html)

QuiltingByCourtney 11-07-2012 08:24 AM

How much should I charge??? help

Hi, I made a t-shirt quilt for a co-worker it is a queen size 90" x 108"... he paid for all the materials etc...when I give him his quilt for his son I KNOW he is going to ask me how much $ and I know he will be willing to pay whatever but I don't want to be too high or too low :/ The materials cost about $100 for everything(top,sashing,batting,backing) since I am a super sale shopper ;) I have free motion quilted it on my machine quilting frame as well. I have worked on it off and on for the last 2.5 months..like 3-4hrs a week I suppose it would be.

-how much should I charge for making it? uff I am soo stressed over this, I hate deciding what to charge I always feel bad...please help me :)

lnolan6177 11-07-2012 09:50 AM

I just did a t-shirt quilt for a friend too....it was 16 shirts and fit a queen size bed. She bought the fabric, thread and interfacing (about $140) I was in the same situation.."what to charge". I probably had about 50-60 hours in it and had in done in just over 2 weeks. (She wanted it for Christmas...there was no rush...I just put my nose to the grindstone and got it done...other projects on the burners) I looked on Etsy and they were charging on average $350-400.00 (they supplied the materials. I finally decided on $200....she was THRILLED. I'm sure whatever you decide they will be satisfied just knowing that someone they knew did it. Good luck.

carslo 11-07-2012 10:09 AM

I have had people ask me how much I would charge to make a quilt. I tell thewm if they buy all the supplies it would $250.00 for a Queen size - I have had no takers, but that is what I have decided would be my price.

QuiltingByCourtney 11-07-2012 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by lnolan6177 (Post 5641180)
I just did a t-shirt quilt for a friend too....it was 16 shirts and fit a queen size bed. She bought the fabric, thread and interfacing (about $140) I was in the same situation.."what to charge". I probably had about 50-60 hours in it and had in done in just over 2 weeks. (She wanted it for Christmas...there was no rush...I just put my nose to the grindstone and got it done...other projects on the burners) I looked on Etsy and they were charging on average $350-400.00 (they supplied the materials. I finally decided on $200....she was THRILLED. I'm sure whatever you decide they will be satisfied just knowing that someone they knew did it. Good luck.

-Awesome that gives me a fair idea! crazy how we are in very similar situations :)

QuiltingByCourtney 11-07-2012 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by carslo (Post 5641214)
I have had people ask me how much I would charge to make a quilt. I tell thewm if they buy all the supplies it would $250.00 for a Queen size - I have had no takers, but that is what I have decided would be my price.

-Yes I agree with you, I need to come to a conclusion on my price and just stick with that :) That way when people ask I already know the $ figure and can tell them right away.

PaperPrincess 11-07-2012 10:50 AM

A rule of thumb is 2 to 3 times the NON SALE PRICE of all your materials.

QuiltnNan 11-07-2012 10:58 AM

when you use your sale-priced fabrics for a consignment quilt, you may end up replacing that fabric with full-priced. thus, the other party gets the best deal, no you. i'd recommend figuring the non-sale price as paperprincess said.

QuiltingByCourtney 11-07-2012 11:34 AM

Originally Posted by PaperPrincess (Post 5641289)
A rule of thumb is 2 to 3 times the NON SALE PRICE of all your materials.

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5641297)
when you use your sale-priced fabrics for a consignment quilt, you may end up replacing that fabric with full-priced. thus, the other party gets the best deal, no you. i'd recommend figuring the non-sale price as paperprincess said.

-Ok thank you so much, this is very helpful and yes you are exactly right, now that I think about it. I am deffinetly keeping these suggestions in mind when I do pricing from now on :)

feline fanatic 11-07-2012 11:43 AM

I have made several. I charge $450 for queen size INCLUDING all materials (customer supplies the T-shirts ONLY) which consist of interfacing fabric for sashing and backing and batting. So take it from there.

QuiltingByCourtney 11-07-2012 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic (Post 5641391)
I have made several. I charge $450 for queen size INCLUDING all materials (customer supplies the T-shirts ONLY) which consist of interfacing fabric for sashing and backing and batting. So take it from there.

Awesome thanks!