Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   how often to have your machine serviced (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-often-have-your-machine-serviced-t110234.html)

mimom 03-24-2011 05:55 AM

I am going on 40 quilts now all machine quilted without servicing the machine.

lovingmama 03-24-2011 06:09 AM

I had my machine serviced after ten years. (May be that is a little bid to long to wait). :oops:

Grama Lehr 03-24-2011 06:29 AM

My manual says once a year, but it takes two weeks, so I haven't be able to part with "Emilee", so she has never been professionally serviced. I take her apart, clean her dust bunnies, lint, thread, and I always tell her how much I love her!

Lostn51 03-24-2011 06:38 AM

Once a year is usually the norm, but with the older vintage machines you can go a lifetime almost with out messing with a service if you oil it regularly. I do not recommend doing that but it has been done before. :lol:

Billy

featherweight 03-24-2011 07:06 AM

My motto is "If is isn't broke, Don't fix it". I do try to have my embroidery machines serviced at least every two years though.

the casual quilter 03-24-2011 07:10 AM

The manual tells me once a year, but I honestly only take it if I sense that it isn't operating quite correctly and I can't fix it. I am good about cleaning it out and oiling it.

quilter1943 03-24-2011 07:12 AM

I used to take mine in every year or so but they have messed it up so bad the last two times that it's been several years. I clean it thoroughly, have the tension set exactly as I want it and think I'll just be satisfied with that for now. My quilter isn't electronic so I keep it clean and oiled myself.

scrappycats 03-24-2011 07:22 AM

I took mine in after nine months and got it back the next day. (I arranged ahead of time to be able to do this - kinda like I got my baby an drs. appointment.) When I picked it up he showed me the lint and stuff they got out of areas that I could not reach in normal maintenance. He said that perhaps I should take it in every six months instead of nine. But, I use my baby just about every day and had already sewn and FMQ seven quilts on it before it went in.

When you quilt your quilt, either stitch in a ditch, FMQ or just plain straight lines, your needle is pulling the lint in from the quilt batting and that can build up inside your machine. That makes maintenance a more frequent necessity than if you were just sewing garments.

KarenK 03-24-2011 07:26 AM

About every 1 to 2 years depending on how much sewing was done. I usually have it serviced in August or September, so it's ready for the busier sewing time during the winter months. I also clean and oil it between servicings and after each quilt that has been machine quilted.

Scrap Happy 03-24-2011 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
Once a year is usually the norm, but with the older vintage machines you can go a lifetime almost with out messing with a service if you oil it regularly. I do not recommend doing that but it has been done before. :lol:

Billy

Thank you Billy.