Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How secure is Invisible Thread? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-secure-invisible-thread-t130096.html)

nantucketsue 06-13-2011 03:05 AM

I ask this because although I have a reel of the reputable Superior Thread's invisible thread, I am reluctant to use it in a quilt that is going to be frequently washed because I fear it will not be as strong as regular cotton thread. What is the verdict of anyone who has used it. Would you use it in a baby quilt for instance?

saf 06-13-2011 03:17 AM

Thanks for asking this question. A friend has suggested that I use invisible thread for my first effort at quilting as she says that any mistakes I make will be less visible. I am also wondering about any ironing problems or concerns.

susie-susie-susie 06-13-2011 04:00 AM

I have read not to use it in baby quilts. The cut ends can poke. Also it can't be ironed with a hot iron. It will melt. That said, I love using it, just have to be careful where you use it.
Sue

harvsstuff 06-13-2011 04:04 AM

I am using invisible thread on my double wedding ring to secure the arcs. Let me tell you that trying to undo these stitches is like pulling teeth. I have ironed over the arcs/stitches and wet the fabric. It doesnot give at all. I am quite pleased with it.

MTS 06-13-2011 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by harvsstuff
I am using invisible thread on my double wedding ring to secure the arcs. Let me tell you that trying to undo these stitches is like pulling teeth. I have ironed over the arcs/stitches and wet the fabric. It doesnot give at all. I am quite pleased with it.

What brand of monofilament are you using? And, yeah, I feel for you - unsewing those stitches is NOT fun at all.

Grammashel 06-13-2011 05:04 AM

This brings up another question. I never iron a quilt after it's quilted, no matter what the thread. How many do iron them?

QuiltNama 06-13-2011 05:10 AM

Be careful when you iron the thread, it does melt at some temperatures. Also does leave some pokeys. If you make charity quilts for hospitals and the likes, the heat of the dryers will melt the thread. Made my nephew a quilt for using while he was treated at St. Judes. Well after a few washing I had to make another quilt from other thread.

Mattee 06-13-2011 05:39 AM

Only some of the threads melt. The newer threads are less likely to do so. One reason for not using it with kids is that it can get wrapped around a finger or toe, and you can't see it as well, so parents may not notice it in time.

sweetana3 06-13-2011 07:04 AM

Harriet Hargraves uses it in her machine quilting. But she is very specific about the brands she uses.

crashnquilt 06-13-2011 07:34 AM

I like Superior MonoPoly and YLI mono. Both are made of polyester.

You do have to watch using an iron because poly does have a low melt point. If you are using the Mono Nylon do not iron it at all.

I do not use invisible on a quilt that is going to be used and washed a lot. It can become a bit stiff over time. Any brand will do that.