Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   How to store fabrics? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/how-store-fabrics-t86684.html)

pbrawdy 01-01-2011 04:57 AM

I am brand new to all this, and just bought a bunch of fabric at the sales. How to you store your fabric. And does it get crease marks from the folds over time?

carolaug 01-01-2011 05:08 AM

Me too...I have seen some ideas but I do not have a large area for storage or a large book self....I am thinking smaller white containers on wheels. Joanne has them on sale today. My closet is full of fabric and just seems so messy. I organize it...but as soon as I need some fabric it becomes a mess.

dakotamaid 01-01-2011 05:09 AM

I store mine out of direct sunlight and refold every now and again as I do my quilts. Refolding usually happens when I get a whim to clean my sewing room!!

117becca 01-01-2011 05:16 AM

mine are just folded up on a bookshelf. They are in the basement w/ minimal sunlight..

nanna-up-north 01-01-2011 05:52 AM

I store my small fabric pieces by color in clear boxes. I've heard that plastic is not good for them but I haven't had a problem. Creases do form over time and I don't refold them..... I have a lot of fabric. I just iron out the creases when I'm ready to use them. Spraying with a little spray sizing helps keep my small pieces firm till they are sewn into a quilt. Don't used starch..... it's made of grain that attracts critters.

jitkaau 01-01-2011 06:27 AM

I have mine in plastic bins with lids - even though we are told not to do this. I put plenty of natural camphor wood chips in each bin. If i leave the stuff in cardboard or cloth bags, the silverfish and moths get into it and I can't afford that. The creases iron out OK.
When the quilt is finished, I roll it and put it inside a tyvec bag.

SuziC 01-01-2011 07:27 AM

Originally Posted by carolaug
Me too...I have seen some ideas but I do not have a large area for storage or a large book self....I am thinking smaller white containers on wheels. Joanne has them on sale today. My closet is full of fabric and just seems so messy. I organize it...but as soon as I need some fabric it becomes a mess.

I have some of the clear storage bins on rollers. Got them at WalMart for under 10.00 ea. They work great and are very handy :lol:

Jill 01-01-2011 07:29 AM

I store mine organized by color on vinyl shelving in the closet. I keep the closet doors closed except when getting something out or putting it away. I have them folded, but haven't bothered to refold them now and again and haven't had any problems yet with creases. I use spray sizing and that removes the creases.

JulieM 01-01-2011 08:02 AM

Why are we not supposed to use storage bins?
JulieM

amma 01-01-2011 10:20 AM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
I store mine out of direct sunlight and refold every now and again as I do my quilts. Refolding usually happens when I get a whim to clean my sewing room!!

This is what I do too... if I don't have time to refold, I just rotate the stacks around :D:D:D