Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I actually have to 'START" my stash (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-actually-have-start%22-my-stash-t35316.html)

cminor 01-28-2010 08:41 AM

I actually had a bunch of pcs from my daughters school. The teacher was getting rid of it at the end of the year and she took it. So technically I do have quite a bit - but mostly smaller pcs that really don't go together at all. I have only gotten fabric spicifically for a project so far so I am excited to start getting some just for fun. When I went yesterday for "lunch" I completly lost track of time. I was about 20 minutes late comeing back! I spend so much time looking and trying to decide that normally my husband takes me to the store and almost forces me to decided. I am very excited when I get any fabric - but then my head starts to spin thinking about how to use it. My hope is to have more on hand that when looking at it - something will just come to me! At least that is my story - and I am sticking to it!!

craftybear 01-28-2010 06:57 PM

Yes, it is fun starting your fabric collection! I am still working on mine.

I like going to the local quilt shops when they have fat quarters on sale.

Karen

cminor 01-29-2010 05:22 AM

I should have known better! It's not the bolts of fabric above the price that are $1.99 - it is the stinkin' FQ's below the fabric :( Most of the FQ's were gone, so I didn't even notice at first.

But - I am still going to get 1 yard, at least once a week (more if I can) and use a 50% coupon. So still 1 yard for under 4.00 or so is not that bad. The one I got yesterday was only $2.00.

nursie76 01-29-2010 05:25 AM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
I think you've discovered a great diet! Skip lunch, buy fabric!

Hey...I'm up for that diet!!!!

Ninnie 01-29-2010 05:30 AM

That is a great way to start!! And before you know it, you will be having to sort and plan ways to store it!!

thismomquilts 01-29-2010 05:33 AM

AND, the best thing - you are just starting? - - - make sure you keep it nice and neat and you'll always have a clean sewing area!! Wish I had thought of this years ago!!

STAR 01-29-2010 05:44 AM

I always check the clearance to then you can get a yd for 3 bucks and then use your coupon for anither yd that is not on sale!!

and just think once you get a big enough stash, like some of ours, DH won't even notice a new piece or three!!LOL

HeatherQuilts 01-29-2010 08:20 AM

Also check Craiglist. I keep an eye out in my area. I just do a search for "Fabric" or "quilt" or similar items. I got a whole bunch of fabric last summer for about $50....it filled up my cabinet!! I also have found some at garage sales!!

STAR 01-29-2010 09:11 AM

and don't forget the thrift stores!

Oklahoma Suzie 01-29-2010 09:42 AM

Originally Posted by lisalovesquilting
I think you've discovered a great diet! Skip lunch, buy fabric!

What a great diet, untill you have to sort all your fabric. lol