Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I Cannot Bind!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-cannot-bind-t215569.html)

EllieGirl 03-05-2013 01:09 PM

I Cannot Bind!!

I watch videos, follow directions, and my corners always look like something is bunched up. What am I doing wrong??

AlienQuilter 03-05-2013 01:12 PM

Can you post pictures of how YOU do it?

ckcowl 03-05-2013 01:17 PM

if you are using a 1/4" seam to attach the binding to the first side- when nearing a corner stop- place a dot (pencil works) 1/4" from the corner on the binding fabric- then stitch right to that dot- stop- raise the pressure foot (with the needle down) turn the quilt so you can stitch a diagonal line off the quilt/binding...stop, cut threads, remove quilt. fold binding fabric straight up- then back down-lining up the raw edges again- start sewing the second side-starting at the 1/4" dot...continue around the quilt stopping & folding each corner-
now- when you fold the binding to the other side to stitch down when you reach a corner fold one side straight - then fold the second side forming your miter.]
try it on a small practice piece (like a pot holder) to get the hang of it

mom-6 03-05-2013 01:20 PM

I've had that happen and when I looked at it closely I had caught the fold that should tuck in but not be stitched into the seam. I unstitched about an inch and freed that fold. Then restitched with the fold out of the way. Hope that makes sense! If not pm me and I will try to explain more clearly.

Prism99 03-05-2013 01:31 PM

One of the "rules" for corners is that you *must* stop the exact seam allowance that you are using. For example, if you are sewing your binding on with 1/2" seam allowance, you must stop *exactly* 1/2" from the edge (and backstitch to secure). If you sew binding on with 1/4" seam allowance, you must stop exactly 1/4" from the edge.

Until I realized this really is a rule, my mitered corners were terrible. Nowadays I mark the stopping point and then make sure my needle enters that stopping point and is not one stitch over or under. Really makes a difference!

Sewnoma 03-05-2013 02:17 PM

Binding corners are something I still struggle with. I think the tips here so far are great and it's how I mess mine up a lot, too...making sure to STOP at the right spot is vital!

I usually get three points just right and for whatever reason just totally screw up the 4th one. "I MEANT for that corner to be rounded!" That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! LOL

Helovesme 03-05-2013 02:21 PM

I found out the same way Prism99 did. Also, when I reach my 1/4" from the corner, I do a backspace and take my quilt out of the machine. This, too, helps me make the fold of the binding more precise. Then, I stick it back in and I line it back up at a 1/4" and start sewing again. AND a couple more backspaces to get it really secure.

EllieGirl 03-05-2013 02:26 PM

I didn't know that about stopping. I go right to the edge. That is probably what is wrong. I so appreciate the info!

WTxRed 03-05-2013 02:27 PM

I think we should form a Sisterhood of the MalFormed Binders lol

Holice 03-05-2013 02:37 PM

I suggest stopping a stitch or two before you get to your dot. This will allow the space the fold takes up. Just like a scant 1/4" inpiecing - which allows for the fold. Also make sure you are maintaining a consistent stitch width down to your dot or end. I believe most problems occur when the stitch width wavers as it gets to the end.
Also when you fold to begin the next corner, put the needle in just inside the fold. This will hold all layers together while you straighten the binding for the next side. Also make sure your stitch width begins the same as the other side.Most problems occur when you don't maintain seam consistency at the corner.