Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: I Cannot Bind!!

I Cannot Bind!!

I watch videos, follow directions, and my corners always look like something is bunched up. What am I doing wrong??

Can you post pictures of how YOU do it?

Blog Entries
    if you are using a 1/4" seam to attach the binding to the first side- when nearing a corner stop- place a dot (pencil works) 1/4" from the corner on the binding fabric- then stitch right to that dot- stop- raise the pressure foot (with the needle down) turn the quilt so you can stitch a diagonal line off the quilt/binding...stop, cut threads, remove quilt. fold binding fabric straight up- then back down-lining up the raw edges again- start sewing the second side-starting at the 1/4" dot...continue around the quilt stopping & folding each corner-
    now- when you fold the binding to the other side to stitch down when you reach a corner fold one side straight - then fold the second side forming your miter.]
    try it on a small practice piece (like a pot holder) to get the hang of it
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

I've had that happen and when I looked at it closely I had caught the fold that should tuck in but not be stitched into the seam. I unstitched about an inch and freed that fold. Then restitched with the fold out of the way. Hope that makes sense! If not pm me and I will try to explain more clearly.

Blog Entries
    One of the "rules" for corners is that you *must* stop the exact seam allowance that you are using. For example, if you are sewing your binding on with 1/2" seam allowance, you must stop *exactly* 1/2" from the edge (and backstitch to secure). If you sew binding on with 1/4" seam allowance, you must stop exactly 1/4" from the edge.

Until I realized this really is a rule, my mitered corners were terrible. Nowadays I mark the stopping point and then make sure my needle enters that stopping point and is not one stitch over or under. Really makes a difference!

Binding corners are something I still struggle with. I think the tips here so far are great and it's how I mess mine up a lot, too...making sure to STOP at the right spot is vital!

I usually get three points just right and for whatever reason just totally screw up the 4th one. "I MEANT for that corner to be rounded!" That's my story and I'm sticking to it!! LOL

I found out the same way Prism99 did. Also, when I reach my 1/4" from the corner, I do a backspace and take my quilt out of the machine. This, too, helps me make the fold of the binding more precise. Then, I stick it back in and I line it back up at a 1/4" and start sewing again. AND a couple more backspaces to get it really secure.

I didn't know that about stopping. I go right to the edge. That is probably what is wrong. I so appreciate the info!

I think we should form a Sisterhood of the MalFormed Binders lol

Banned
    I suggest stopping a stitch or two before you get to your dot. This will allow the space the fold takes up. Just like a scant 1/4" inpiecing - which allows for the fold. Also make sure you are maintaining a consistent stitch width down to your dot or end. I believe most problems occur when the stitch width wavers as it gets to the end.
    Also when you fold to begin the next corner, put the needle in just inside the fold. This will hold all layers together while you straighten the binding for the next side. Also make sure your stitch width begins the same as the other side.Most problems occur when you don't maintain seam consistency at the corner.

I have never done the diagonal stitching to the corner. That seems to be a perfect way to make sure the miter will be perfect. I'm gioing to try that. Thanks for the tip.

Quote Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
    if you are using a 1/4" seam to attach the binding to the first side- when nearing a corner stop- place a dot (pencil works) 1/4" from the corner on the binding fabric- then stitch right to that dot- stop- raise the pressure foot (with the needle down) turn the quilt so you can stitch a diagonal line off the quilt/binding...stop, cut threads, remove quilt. fold binding fabric straight up- then back down-lining up the raw edges again- start sewing the second side-starting at the 1/4" dot...continue around the quilt stopping & folding each corner-
    now- when you fold the binding to the other side to stitch down when you reach a corner fold one side straight - then fold the second side forming your miter.]
    try it on a small practice piece (like a pot holder) to get the hang of it

I didn't even try to miter my first 2 quilts. The 3rd one I just finished I tried it. It wasn't perfect and I started to really get frustrated, but decided that I have read so much on this board about how there aren't really any 'quilt police' and that it didn't look horrible even though not perfect. After reading these guidelines I know more of what I did wrong....which is stopping exactly with the same seam allowance you are using. I used a 1/2 inch and stopped a 1/4 inch. Not too old to keep learning something new. Never learn unless you try! The next one will be better for you.

Banned
    Unfortunately all or most al binding instructions give the 1/4" seam. Very rarely do they say that if your seam is larger than 1/4" then you must stop that distance from the end. But as I said in my previous post, stopping a stitch or two before you get there will give space for the fold and makes the corner fold flatter.

I usually have 3 good corners, then 1 ucky corner. You're not alone.
    Carol in Michigan

I had a teacher that had a different idea with corners. Since we all don't use a 1/4 inch seam she taught us this way. It seems to work for me.
    1. When you get about 2 inches from edge stop and fold a 90 degree angle with the binding. Make sure the angle is 90 degrees and either iron or finger press a crease on the angle folded edge.
    2. Lay the binding straight and stop exactly where you needle reaches the crease.
    3. Back stitch a few inches. Cut your threads and move the quilt away and fold the binding at the 90 degrees and then down, making sure the turned corner is exactly at top of quilt
    4. start sewing again at the top edge the distance you are using.
    Works every time for me. Hope this helps

Z
    Take a look at these Sharon chamber tutorials on binding using Elmer's School Glue. The one on mitering corners really helped me. Don't let the glue scare you. Try a mini quilt so that you can get the hang of it. You don't have to have the special tip. You partially open the regular bottle tip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vHI7rgZpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W--xgi4nux8

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Take a look at these Sharon chamber tutorials on binding using Elmer's School Glue. The one on mitering corners really helped me. Don't let the glue scare you. Try a mini quilt so that you can get the hang of it. You don't have to have the special tip. You partially open the regular bottle tip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PE0Yq9iGlc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3vHI7rgZpw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W--xgi4nux8
    I use Sharon's method and it works really well for me!

Blog Entries
    uou sew to 1/4 " from the end needle down now pivot sew 45% angle to the outside cut threads now turn quilt and work on side

my problem is the which direction to do the 45 degree angle for the corners to make the mitered corner. Do I angle to left or right of the corner?
    Lise

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by honeybee_2000 View Post
    my problem is the which direction to do the 45 degree angle for the corners to make the mitered corner. Do I angle to left or right of the corner?
    You would have to angle to the right -- sewing directly into the corner's outside point. Sewing to the left would make it impossible to cover the corner with the binding fabric.

I first square up and trim the quilt. I make my binding 2 1/2" wide, folded and ironed in half. When attaching binding to a quilt, you do not use a 1/4" seam. What you do is sew in 1/3 from the edge, lift presser foot. One third is in the seam allowance, one third is on the front, and 1/3 is on the back. When sewing to the corner, stop at the same distance in from edge, fold fabric diagonally up, line up the edge and fold down. Start again at the very top and sew thru all fabrics, continue sewing till the next corner. I always check the corners and sometime have to go back and take a stitch or two more, they usually come out perfect. Since I do not want to spend time hand sewing the binding, I sew my binding on the back of the quilt, turn over (I iron it), the sew the binding on the front. Some of my friends even use a fancy stitch on the front. Here is a video of exactly how I do it (minus her measurements and seam allowance). Good luck.
    http://www.mccallsquilting.com/mccal...nding_to_Quilt

I recently switched from stopping 1/4 and sewing off in an L shape to stopping 1/4 from the edge and turning and sewing on the 45 degree. I do this by folding a post it note (free binding tool ), laying it on the edge and sewing along the angle. I'm super pleased with how sharp the point is.

I finally can do nice corners. when you get to the corner sewing the binding on, cut your thread and then fold the binding back. It works. Heard this one on Fons and Porter, that is how Liz does it. Never thought it would work, but it does.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WTxRed View Post
    I think we should form a Sisterhood of the MalFormed Binders lol
    Sign me up
    Pat

Fons and Porter had a wonderful show called Binding Bootcamp. I have been binding for more years than I care to admit and it helped me so much. See if you can find it on You Tube, or Fons and Porter . com. I think it was series 1900. I recorded it on my DVR and have watched it three times. What helped me the most is their method of connecting the end pieces. See if you can find it. Watch if more than once...it will help.
    Michelle Guadarrama

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast