Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I could just kick myself! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-could-just-kick-myself-t202962.html)

MissM 10-13-2012 02:35 PM

Maybe you can use the ones you cut wrong in the border. That might be unique.

nstitches4u 10-13-2012 03:22 PM

We've all been there---Some of us more than others! lol Just get another jelly roll and make 2. Then you will will have an extra gift on hand.

My time 10-13-2012 04:59 PM

Well if this is a first for you your doing well! I just hate messing up too!

w7sue 10-13-2012 09:10 PM

I am working on a quilt for my daughter - three fabrics - one size block - you would think it would be easy ... WRONG! I have bought extra fabric twice! Now I know why I LOVE scrappy quilts!

Because I have two different rulers to do the same block, the directions for cutting are different for both of them because one is going to make 8" blocks and the other 10" blocks - but I wanted the 10" size and cut for the 8" size - then I needed more fabric because smaller blocks equals more needed - then cut one whole strip of blocks 1/2" too short --- ARGH!!!!

This should be easy and it has been more work than some of the more complicated quilts I have made - which is usually the case for me - I think it must be that I look at the pattern and think "this will be easy", then I don't do as good a job reading the instructions as I should ...

It will be fun to see a picture of your finished project.

117becca 10-14-2012 03:04 AM

Been there, done that, too!! :( I will say that I only cut enough fabric to finish the block(s) that I'm working on at that moment.

And let me one up you guys......Imagine having a vision of a quilt - buy all the fabric - out of town while quilt shop hopping on an out of town trip....get home put the block together and it looks oogalie!!! :( Now I'm trying to find another quilt to make w/ all these fabrics....btw - the quilt is going to be king size....That's a lot of fabric!!

jcrow 10-14-2012 06:35 AM

We all do this sort of thing a few times a year. At least I do. And I kick myself all over the house for a day or so before I get over it.

Tttdoc 10-14-2012 07:01 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I feel so much better now knowing that I am not alone in this type of error! I was making this quilt for my son last year and cut the center of the blocks on the wrong angle and had to buy more yardage and then I cut some of the dark green strips too short and had to scrounge for more (thank goodness I had the number/name of that particular batik and could find some online!).

QuiltnLady1 10-14-2012 09:48 AM

I always buy extra fabric -- and when I don't I know I will miscut and wish I had the extra (I even miscut when I have extra). Murphy is alive and well in my sewing room.

Michelekolt 10-14-2012 12:40 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I finished my Strip Search Quilt today. I made mine 25 blocks. Thank you everyone. I was so close to tossing the whole thing but I love the end result.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]369714[/ATTACH]

Michelekolt 10-14-2012 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by Tttdoc (Post 5584444)
I feel so much better now knowing that I am not alone in this type of error! I was making this quilt for my son last year and cut the center of the blocks on the wrong angle and had to buy more yardage and then I cut some of the dark green strips too short and had to scrounge for more (thank goodness I had the number/name of that particular batik and could find some online!).

Wow! This is great, I'm glad to know I'm not the one one.