Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: I could just kick myself!

I could just kick myself!

Today I started cutting my Strip Search quilt, I have read the instruction over and over and kept telling myself be careful and cut the strips correctly. Well guess what? I cut all my strips to be A blocks. Now I have to order another jelly roll or scrap.

I hate when I do stuff like this.

Blog Entries
    Bummer! Maybe you can make 2 and give one away. I like to create a list for myself and check it off as I go along. It does help!

Yup that is what I should have done, I guess I'll just have to make 2. lol one for you one for you.

Blog Entries
    Sorry this happened to you. I hate trying to figure out how many I need of something so I usually buy double anyway. Good luck!!! Now you can have 2 quilts!!
    Be the best that you can be at everything you do.
    Find me on Facebook Be my friend Join my group
    Leesa Kemp's Material Things Fabric Sales and Auctions

Blog Entries
    I had the perfect amount left to do the border on my quilt last night. I measured the top 3x and even wrote the measurement down: 57" Then I went to the cutting board and cut my strip 54" So I do understand what you are saying. Just buy another jelly roll and make two. You'll be glad when you need a gift in a hurry.
    Martina
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Fabric!

Blog Entries
    I have learned to copy the pattern and use the copy to write on. I check off each item done. Make note of any changes to the patterns-especially to simplify the steps. I staple swatches of the fabrics to the pattern. I make notes-lots of them. I know someone may inherit all my stuff or borrow them, and if they want to do those patterns, I hope I have made it easier for them. To me it is more organized than having scraps of little notes laying around.
    Started doing this because I too have done the same thing you have more times than I care to tell.

On my last quilt I made sure that I had enough fabric to cut my borders lengthwise. Then I cut the first two too short! We all make mistakes, but there's usually a solution. In my case I had to piece two of the borders after all. Sometimes the mistake turns out to be a good thing.

Power Poster
    I've done similar boo boos. It is usually when I am being super careful, the pattern is difficult and the fabric is expensive.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
    I've done similar boo boos. It is usually when I am being super careful, the pattern is difficult and the fabric is expensive.
    Me, too! The other day I was cutting on the mat and needed 8 1/2 intervals. First cut at 8 1/2 second one lined up, answered the phone, went back and cut a perfect cut at 16 inches. Didn't have enough fabric left to do another. Ahhhh!!!!
    Happy Quilting.

Thank you everyone, I'm glad I'm not alone. Just so happened a quilt shop about 35 minutes away had the jelly roll I need. So on Saturday (Tomorrow I have to work) I'll work on my B blocks. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Fun thing is, I'm looking at the sample picture on the pattern and 2 of the blocks are wrong.

Hate that!

Blog Entries
    I always buy extra fabric for every project unless it's a scrap project. And you can never have too many jelly rolls!
    Got fabric?

Sounds like me - I always remember to measure twice, but have cut wrong after going through all that anyway. Usually happens when I am tired, so have learned to go to bed instead of cutting when tired.

I can measure twice and still cut wrong! I can even write it down and cut it wrong! There is usually a way to fix it and I always buy extra fabric!

Blog Entries
    really hate when the instructions are wrong........

there are some books being sold that have several pages of corrections on their websites and even after noting the corrections on your copy of the book (that you bought for the class) you find more errors .....grrrrrrrrrr

Blog Entries
    Awwww welcome to my world, I read and reread and am sure I know what I am doing only to find out... I did something stupid!!! Guess where "stash" comes from!

Ok I think I have it figured out. Last night I bought another Jelly Roll and a few extra fat quarters. With this I should be able to make 30 blocks and make this a full size quilt instead of a lap quilt. I also found a few fabrics in my stash that may work with this if I run out.

Quote Originally Posted by calicojoan View Post
    Awwww welcome to my world, I read and reread and am sure I know what I am doing only to find out... I did something stupid!!! Guess where "stash" comes from!
    You I'm finding that out.

Quote Originally Posted by SunlitenSmiles View Post
    really hate when the instructions are wrong........

there are some books being sold that have several pages of corrections on their websites and even after noting the corrections on your copy of the book (that you bought for the class) you find more errors .....grrrrrrrrrr
    I found another mistake, The instructions say to use 39 stripes well it needs 41 stripes. This pattern if driving me crazy.

Power Poster
    I just cut some squares 11 x 12 instead of 11 x 11. Not a major disaster, but still - - -

You definitely have company when it comes to cutting something incorrectly!

Join the crowd! Groan.

I make alot of miscuts too. I yell at myself , then figure out a new design. or add in other fabrics.

Boy, we have all done this at one time or another. I always do a sample block in other fabric so if I mess it up, I have not used the 'good' stuff and will have enough to finish. Directions can be so confusing and if one than one block, so easy to get it backwards etc. You are in with the crowd on this one!
    Kathleen Clendennen
    www.thequiltgal.com

Quote Originally Posted by Michelekolt View Post
    I found another mistake, The instructions say to use 39 stripes well it needs 41 stripes. This pattern if driving me crazy.
    Thanks for that info. I bought this pattern but have not made it yet.

The quilt I finished yesterday is for the annual quilt raffle at church. Bought the fabrics in the spring. Bought all they had of the cream background fabric. That was alsmot two yards more than I needed. Guess what...I almost ran out and had to piece it to finish the quilt and I do not have enough to make the border. I had to change my ideas. Guess I should have bought a FULL bolt of all the fabrics. Sometimes I wonder if the 'gremlins' are in my sewing room.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast