Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I could just kick myself! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-could-just-kick-myself-t202962.html)

Michelekolt 10-11-2012 12:34 PM

I could just kick myself!

Today I started cutting my Strip Search quilt, I have read the instruction over and over and kept telling myself be careful and cut the strips correctly. Well guess what? I cut all my strips to be A blocks. Now I have to order another jelly roll or scrap.

I hate when I do stuff like this.

katier825 10-11-2012 12:38 PM

Bummer! Maybe you can make 2 and give one away. I like to create a list for myself and check it off as I go along. It does help!

Michelekolt 10-11-2012 12:45 PM

Yup that is what I should have done, I guess I'll just have to make 2. lol one for you one for you.

#1piecemaker 10-11-2012 12:54 PM

Sorry this happened to you. I hate trying to figure out how many I need of something so I usually buy double anyway. Good luck!!! Now you can have 2 quilts!!

MadQuilter 10-11-2012 12:58 PM

I had the perfect amount left to do the border on my quilt last night. I measured the top 3x and even wrote the measurement down: 57" Then I went to the cutting board and cut my strip 54" So I do understand what you are saying. Just buy another jelly roll and make two. You'll be glad when you need a gift in a hurry.

NanaCsews2 10-11-2012 01:28 PM

I have learned to copy the pattern and use the copy to write on. I check off each item done. Make note of any changes to the patterns-especially to simplify the steps. I staple swatches of the fabrics to the pattern. I make notes-lots of them. I know someone may inherit all my stuff or borrow them, and if they want to do those patterns, I hope I have made it easier for them. To me it is more organized than having scraps of little notes laying around.
Started doing this because I too have done the same thing you have more times than I care to tell.

dunster 10-11-2012 01:42 PM

On my last quilt I made sure that I had enough fabric to cut my borders lengthwise. Then I cut the first two too short! We all make mistakes, but there's usually a solution. In my case I had to piece two of the borders after all. Sometimes the mistake turns out to be a good thing.

Tartan 10-11-2012 02:12 PM

I've done similar boo boos. It is usually when I am being super careful, the pattern is difficult and the fabric is expensive.

mcdaniel023 10-11-2012 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Tartan (Post 5578633)
I've done similar boo boos. It is usually when I am being super careful, the pattern is difficult and the fabric is expensive.

Me, too! The other day I was cutting on the mat and needed 8 1/2 intervals. First cut at 8 1/2 second one lined up, answered the phone, went back and cut a perfect cut at 16 inches. Didn't have enough fabric left to do another. Ahhhh!!!!

Michelekolt 10-11-2012 03:22 PM

Thank you everyone, I'm glad I'm not alone. Just so happened a quilt shop about 35 minutes away had the jelly roll I need. So on Saturday (Tomorrow I have to work) I'll work on my B blocks. I'll let you all know how it turns out.

Fun thing is, I'm looking at the sample picture on the pattern and 2 of the blocks are wrong.