Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I love all your ideas for other people, now it's my turn.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-love-all-your-ideas-other-people-now-its-my-turn-t226489.html)

mbake 07-25-2013 04:33 AM

I love all your ideas for other people, now it's my turn....

1 Attachment(s)
This is my first "string quilt or scrappy quilt". I've decided that I would like to make it for my king size bed. I need ideas to expand these 5 1/4 inch blocks. I currently have about 150 of them. But I won't have enough to just join them together for four patch blocks. I will probably just keep making more until I figure out something and run out of fabric!!!
Any ideas? I'm driving myself crazy looking at patterns....

Barb in Louisiana 07-25-2013 04:52 AM

To maintain the design, perhaps sashing around a set of four blocks is a great way to expand a block. I've seen some sash in a small way, say about 1/2" between in the center of the four patch blocks, creating a "+" sign, then larger sashings surrounding the 4 patch blocks.

Multiple sashings giving it a log cabin effect is another way to enlarge. You would actually be using your blocks as the log cabin center. The blocks could be as large as you want.

Another idea - use a really large sashing & incorporate some applique or embroidery on the strips.

If you have a focus fabric that incorporates your colors, you could actually do some "big blocks" and do some elegant designs with that, using the 4 patches of yours & 1 big block in an offset design, thus making an "x" type effect in your quilt.

Pinwheel blocks are fun ways to do an alternative quick block to add another design element to your design.

I do like your blue blocks. Let us know what you come up with.

mbake 07-25-2013 05:25 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Oh my gosh, you gave me an idea! I could use a focus panel in the center with this peacock. I made this quilt for my DIL and just loved the colors. That's what a lot of the scraps are from. I hope the fabric is still available! Do you think that would work? Thank you so much! Now I just have to figure how to put it in there.....

tessagin 07-25-2013 05:31 AM

There are so many different ideas for scrappy quilts. Bonnie Hunter's site quiltville.com and quiter'scache.com is another good one.

quiltin-nannie 07-25-2013 05:38 AM

Originally Posted by mbake (Post 6195239)
Oh my gosh, you gave me an idea! I could use a focus panel in the center with this peacock. I made this quilt for my DIL and just loved the colors. That's what a lot of the scraps are from. I hope the fabric is still available! Do you think that would work? Thank you so much! Now I just have to figure how to put it in there.....

I ordered some stuff from Hancock's of Paducah last week and noticed this peacock. Beautiful! I think it would look great with your blocks. By the way, that quilt you made your DIL is gorgeous!

sewmary 07-25-2013 06:23 AM

I used string blocks to make columns. A full lenght white piece, then acolumn of string blocks all the way down The width or numer across is up to you) then a length ofvwhite, then blocks, etc. It turned out really sharp. I have no pictures - my son was here when i was taking it out of the dryer and claimed it immediately.

nativetexan 07-25-2013 06:26 AM

I was going to suggest what Sewmary just said. Good luck and have fun!

mbake 07-25-2013 06:55 AM

Darn, I would love to see it....

Nammie to 7 07-25-2013 08:17 PM

What a great idea to use a panel in the middle or along one side like the quilt shown. Also like the idea of a white panel between the pieced blocks.

mbake 07-26-2013 02:37 AM

This board always comes to my rescue. :-) I have learned so much from everyone. I think whenever new quilters ask for advice in quilt shops or in classes, it should be suggested that they join this Quilting board!