Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I love quilting but I hate making tops (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-love-quilting-but-i-hate-making-tops-t159817.html)

Pieceful Quilter 10-13-2011 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by janRN
Wow Ashley, I wish we were neighbors!! I love to make quilt tops and hate to quilt! We'd make a good team. I have 3 tops made and folded up for when I get better at machine quilting or have time for handquilting. As for piecing, the more difficult the block pattern, the more I love it.

I was going to say basically the same thing! I shake and sweat when it comes time to make my sandwich. And don't even say the words "free motion" and "quilting" in the same sentence, or I will hyperventilate. However, I LOVE to plan, shop for, cut, and piece the tops! My dream would be figuring out how to hire that service out, and actually make a bit of money doing it.

Dee 10-13-2011 08:04 PM

I don't mind tops. Love applique.

My time 10-13-2011 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by AshleyR
I know I can't be the only one out there.... I really really dislike making tops. I will be the first to admit that I'm not the very best at it, but I can do it. I'm pleased with the results but I hate the process. So much that I'm going to go ahead and say it aloud: I HATE making quilt tops and I'm not going to do it again ever.

I love quilting. I love hand-quilting and I'm good at it. I am having fun practicing machine quilting, but I'm not good at it at all (yet!). I would love to quilt for hire but who can afford a hand-quilter??! My dream is to partner up with someone who loves to piece and she/he makes the tops and bastes them (ha)
and I quilt them. :)

Gee I prefer making the tops. Hey what size quilting needles do you use when you hand quilt?

sharoney 10-13-2011 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Denise S

Originally Posted by sharoney
I don't dislike making tops, but FMQ is what I live for! I can't wait to finish a top so I can quilt it. When I finish quilting one, it's like finishing a good book- really enjoyed it, and sad it's over! I FMQ my sis-in-law's quilts, but she works full time and doesn't get very many made.

This question is for anyone to reply to...does the FMQ process take longer than the piecing process?

I have only done SID and would like to to learn to FMQ, but I know it takes a lot of practice, practice, practice (which I don't have the time for right now, but some day)

It would depend on the difficulty and detail of both- but generally, I would say that FMQ does not take as long as piecing.

winter012 10-13-2011 09:23 PM

ashleyR, let's get together!! I like to piece tops, but when it comes to actually quilting them, forget it!!!!!! I usually end up tying my quilts, rather than attempt to sewing/quilt them, that's how much it scares me!!!! I'm serious - let's do a trade or work out something...........

sharoney 10-13-2011 09:53 PM

I'm up for trading too! Anybody? I LOVE to FMQ-

AshleyR 10-14-2011 02:33 AM

I like using smaller ones. I get a variety pack and usually just ignore the longer ones. I think my favorite is about an eight. I like my stitches to be around 8 an inch, and can go smaller, but I think 6-8 looks better. I also use a normal metal thimble. I bought a lot of thread from my fabric store when it was on sale and I love to use it.

Originally Posted by My time

Gee I prefer making the tops. Hey what size quilting needles do you use when you hand quilt?

cyd 10-14-2011 05:35 PM

I am just the opposite--have lost the incentive to hand quilt, but love the piecing and putting the fabrics together.

desertrose 10-14-2011 05:51 PM

Originally Posted by AshleyR
I know I can't be the only one out there.... I really really dislike making tops. I will be the first to admit that I'm not the very best at it, but I can do it. I'm pleased with the results but I hate the process. So much that I'm going to go ahead and say it aloud: I HATE making quilt tops and I'm not going to do it again ever.

I love quilting. I love hand-quilting and I'm good at it. I am having fun practicing machine quilting, but I'm not good at it at all (yet!). I would love to quilt for hire but who can afford a hand-quilter??! My dream is to partner up with someone who loves to piece and she/he makes the tops and bastes them (ha) and I quilt them. :)

Boy am I with you. I love hand quilting but no one wants to pay for it and LAQ's turn around time buries us... :-(

quilttiludrop 10-15-2011 12:38 PM

It sounds like a good plan! I hope it works out for you!