Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need help (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-help-t34114.html)

Carol68 01-14-2010 08:41 AM

I have some fabric in blue , one solid and one is blue and white. I want to make 6 inch squares out of each. I want to know how wide to cut strips of white to cut to put in between the blocks.
Carol68

redrummy 01-14-2010 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by Carol68
I have some fabric in blue , one solid and one is blue and white. I want to make 6 inch squares out of each. I want to know how wide to cut strips of white to cut to put in between the blocks.
Carol68

Do you want a particular size when done? then you have to figure out how many 6 '' squares you have, and go from there. If you just want to know what is the rule? there isn't really one. Lay the squares on top of the white, moving them till you get the look you want, cut the white 1/2 '' larger for seam allowance. That is how I do it if I am just winging it. Which is usually the case, I seldom use a pattern.

Oklahoma Suzie 01-14-2010 09:28 AM

Originally Posted by redrummy

Originally Posted by Carol68
Carol68

Do you want a particular size when done? then you have to figure out how many 6 '' squares you have, and go from there. If you just want to know what is the rule? there isn't really one. Lay the squares on top of the white, moving them till you get the look you want, cut the white 1/2 '' larger for seam allowance. That is how I do it if I am just winging it. Which is usually the case, I seldom use a pattern.

great idea.

butterflywing 01-16-2010 11:17 AM

for any size square pattern:
everything has to be cut the same size and everything has to be cut 1/2" larger than the finished size you want. so if you want to end up with 6"squares, you have to cut everything 6-1/2" square.

kathy 01-16-2010 12:36 PM

it sounds like you're talking about a sashing strip, if so it's what ever width appeals to you, I think most of us use 2-1/2 inch wide, it, will be 2" when finished

amma 01-16-2010 12:41 PM

I agree with Kathy.
You can take your cut squares, and line some up on top of your white fabric. Leave a space between them "as the sashing" and play with different widths to find the one that you like best.

BellaBoo 01-16-2010 01:05 PM

My general rule is the sashing should be no larger than 1/2 the width of the block for a pleasing look. But remember there are no rules in quilting that cannot be broken.

Carol68 01-20-2010 06:15 AM

I want to thank everyone for the ideas for my quilt.I think instead of the sashing between, I am going to do some white squares. I layed out several ways and seem to like the results of the squares best. You girls are the best. I am just so afraid of doing something new. I can crochet, knit and sew. So I thought I could try quilting.
Thanks again. Carol

Esqmommy 01-20-2010 06:16 AM

Show us a picture when you're done!!

nativetexan 01-20-2010 07:12 AM

yes, usually sashing strips look better if only 1/3 of the block size or less. have fun!