Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I need Ideas...suggestions (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-need-ideas-suggestions-t87646.html)

AgapeStitches 01-04-2011 01:12 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My aunt needs a padded cover for the Bracket that the side rail is attached in on her hospital bed. The corners are sharp and her skin tears instead of bruising.

I have plenty of batting, fabric, elastic, etc just no ideas for how or what...

the bracket is 4" tall and 1 1/2" around

QuiltnCowgirl 01-04-2011 01:20 PM

I would just make a rectangle wide enough to fit wrapped around the rail & long enough to give her cushioning cover however far up & down the rail she might hit. Bat it, quilt it, add velcro the length to secure it around the rail.

ETA: oops - just re-read your post & realized you are talking about the bracket not the rail. I should not speed read. Can you still do something similar to wrap around the bracket & secure using velcro?

AgapeStitches 01-04-2011 01:22 PM

Thanks QCowgirl.

The rail is not the problem it the bracket that holds the rail when the rail is removed for getting up and down.

erstan947 01-04-2011 01:27 PM

Maybe make a flat quilted piece and wrap it around the bracket
and secure it with velcro. If you could show us a photo we might can offer additional ideas.

ktbb 01-04-2011 01:36 PM

I agree with a flat piece and velcro, but make the piece extra long and fold the top down over the top of the post before wrapping the velcro around it...this will pad the top as well as the sides. but - will the attendants have to take it off and put it back on every time? If so, you may want to check with them about your idea before you do the work on it.

ktbb 01-04-2011 01:37 PM

if you want something really quick, pick up one of those can cozies made of dense rubber foam and turn it upside down over the post.

AgapeStitches 01-04-2011 01:40 PM

My uncle and I woild be the ones to remove/replace it...the rail would only be in place at night while she sleeps.

Cyn 01-04-2011 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by ktbb
if you want something really quick, pick up one of those can cozies made of dense rubber foam and turn it upside down over the post.

This sounds like the fix until you could make something yourself!

amma 01-04-2011 01:51 PM

Maybe call the company that makes the bed or a Medical Supply Store and see if they have a fix for it :D:D:D

QuiltnCowgirl 01-04-2011 01:56 PM

Originally Posted by Cyn

Originally Posted by ktbb

This sounds like the fix until you could make something yourself!

Ditto. When I saw the picture you posted I immediately visualized an upside down "something" over the bracket. Could even wrap a large rubber band around the "cozie" to keep it on.