Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I never intended to......... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-never-intended-t159081.html)

Fritzy 10-08-2011 09:46 PM

I went to our monthly sit & sew last night at my LQS & somehow we started talking about the different sewing machines. I have a Janome 5700 embroidery machine which I just love and said that I would probably never get another new machine because this one did everything I wanted to do. Well------ the owner of the quilt shop said that now was a good time to get a new machine because the new ones were coming out & a lot of people were trading up & that started me thinking. Bad idea! I do my own quilting, mainly SID, so I would like to have a wider throat & also a bigger hoop. I was out running some errands & I thought I'd stop at the store that I've bought my other machines from just to see how much a new or a used one would be. The one that would have what I wanted was the Janome 9700 which new is about $3,000. When I heard that I said I don't think so & asked if they ever got used ones & they had just gotten one in last week that wasn't used very much. Need I say more? They said they don't get that one in very often so after finding out the used price & it coming with two extra hoops & the larger throat I asked the gal if I would be stupid not to get it & she said yes! It still will cost $1300. but that is a heck of a lot better than the $3,000. Problem is I haven't told hubby yet & I'll have to try & sell my 5700 too since they said they don't take trade ins because they have discontinued making them & I'd be better off selling it myself. I had bought that used 10 years ago at a very good price so I definitely got my money's worth out of it. I still can't believe I bought it since I was just going to do some checking on them. Oh well, it must have been meant to be right????? I can't wait to get it now but it'll probably be sometime next week since they haven't had a chance to go over it all. I guess I won't be buying much fabric for awhile!

mamahippychicky 10-08-2011 09:54 PM

Oh wow! How exciting to buy a new machine :) You know it was meant to be and you'll have lots of fun with her!

tuesy 10-08-2011 10:34 PM

That's pretty much how I came about having a Babylock Ellegante.. I just went to "look" at them and price shop on the Janome's, Brother's and Babylock. Babylock store was first and I ended up leaving with the machine.

Hubby was all for it, as he had been telling me for weeks just to go get it but I told him no, didn't want to spend the money. LOL So when I did come home with it, he was so excited for me that I got what I wanted.

I miss that man of mine.. sigh...

mmonohon 10-08-2011 10:57 PM

Great find.

sewbeadit 10-08-2011 11:03 PM

I think it is wonderful, good for you. My dh would have done the same thing and said go ahead. :D

MegsAnn 10-08-2011 11:07 PM

Yeah, you kindof have to jump right on a bargain like that... especially because you're unlikely to find something similar again. Congrats! Tell your hubby sooner than later, though.

quilterella 10-09-2011 12:49 AM

Great bargain...Congratulations. May I suggest however, if you can afford to, why not keep your other machine as a backup? That way you have two great Janomes and will never have to worry about a backup. I know when my Janome 6600 was very sick this spring, I would have given anything for a decent backup machine.

craftybear 10-09-2011 01:53 AM

Congratulations

scrappy2 10-09-2011 02:19 AM

Congratulations! I have the Janome 9700 too & love it. I was told to keep my older machine, Janome 4000 & I'm so glad I did. Saves some wear & tear on my newer machine.

stitchengramie 10-09-2011 02:31 AM

Your hubby seems like a very understand guy. Enjoy your new machine.

Is it cheaper to buy a used sewing machine rather than a new one? I was just wondering. I have been thinking about one.