Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: I never intended to.........

I went to our monthly sit & sew last night at my LQS & somehow we started talking about the different sewing machines. I have a Janome 5700 embroidery machine which I just love and said that I would probably never get another new machine because this one did everything I wanted to do. Well------ the owner of the quilt shop said that now was a good time to get a new machine because the new ones were coming out & a lot of people were trading up & that started me thinking. Bad idea! I do my own quilting, mainly SID, so I would like to have a wider throat & also a bigger hoop. I was out running some errands & I thought I'd stop at the store that I've bought my other machines from just to see how much a new or a used one would be. The one that would have what I wanted was the Janome 9700 which new is about $3,000. When I heard that I said I don't think so & asked if they ever got used ones & they had just gotten one in last week that wasn't used very much. Need I say more? They said they don't get that one in very often so after finding out the used price & it coming with two extra hoops & the larger throat I asked the gal if I would be stupid not to get it & she said yes! It still will cost $1300. but that is a heck of a lot better than the $3,000. Problem is I haven't told hubby yet & I'll have to try & sell my 5700 too since they said they don't take trade ins because they have discontinued making them & I'd be better off selling it myself. I had bought that used 10 years ago at a very good price so I definitely got my money's worth out of it. I still can't believe I bought it since I was just going to do some checking on them. Oh well, it must have been meant to be right????? I can't wait to get it now but it'll probably be sometime next week since they haven't had a chance to go over it all. I guess I won't be buying much fabric for awhile!

Oh wow! How exciting to buy a new machine :) You know it was meant to be and you'll have lots of fun with her!

That's pretty much how I came about having a Babylock Ellegante.. I just went to "look" at them and price shop on the Janome's, Brother's and Babylock. Babylock store was first and I ended up leaving with the machine.

Hubby was all for it, as he had been telling me for weeks just to go get it but I told him no, didn't want to spend the money. LOL So when I did come home with it, he was so excited for me that I got what I wanted.

I miss that man of mine.. sigh...

Great find.

I think it is wonderful, good for you. My dh would have done the same thing and said go ahead. :D

Yeah, you kindof have to jump right on a bargain like that... especially because you're unlikely to find something similar again. Congrats! Tell your hubby sooner than later, though.

Blog Entries
    Great bargain...Congratulations. May I suggest however, if you can afford to, why not keep your other machine as a backup? That way you have two great Janomes and will never have to worry about a backup. I know when my Janome 6600 was very sick this spring, I would have given anything for a decent backup machine.

Blog Entries
    Congratulations

Blog Entries
    Congratulations! I have the Janome 9700 too & love it. I was told to keep my older machine, Janome 4000 & I'm so glad I did. Saves some wear & tear on my newer machine.

Your hubby seems like a very understand guy. Enjoy your new machine.

Is it cheaper to buy a used sewing machine rather than a new one? I was just wondering. I have been thinking about one.

Blog Entries
    I agree that if possible, you should keep your older machine. Two wonderful machines to have! Congratus!

Blog Entries
    congrats :!:

Blog Entries
    Congratz on the great deal! Hopefully, you find a new home for your "old" one soon if it has to go. :)

Quote Originally Posted by quilterella
    Great bargain...Congratulations. May I suggest however, if you can afford to, why not keep your other machine as a backup? That way you have two great Janomes and will never have to worry about a backup. I know when my Janome 6600 was very sick this spring, I would have given anything for a decent backup machine.
    I agree, too many times, I hear people say "I wished I have kept my old machine" and how much they loved it and miss it!

Been there myself. Took Pfaff in for free annual maintenance check up and upgraded to newer machine, twice. Newest Pfaff has 5 yr. warranty so I have a few more years before the free maintenance checkup is about to expire. Can't complain new machine works great and dealer also threw in a little Gem Gold that I take to classes and workshops.

:thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: Been there, done that.

Super Member pastimesquiltdesign's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    My dad always said "if you look, you buy". I have found that to be true with me. Which is why I have to stay off the antique section of our local online classifieds and stay away from the fabric sales. I am happy you went ahead and got what you wanted. I'm sure you will really enjoy those added features.

I think sewing machines are a lot like cars, buy used and save the difference. Older machines were better made than the new ones and someone else has fixed all those things that could go wrong with a fresh out of the box. Take your time and buy from someone reputable. Use it first to make sure you like it.

It was meant to be. What a great buy. Have fun with your new toy.

Blog Entries
    I concur if possible keep both! One machine I have reg foot, one I have walking foot on and the other has quilting foot!

I do have another smaller Janome that I use to take to classes since the computer ones are so heavy. It's just an ordinary machine but that's all I need when I go to a class or on a retreat. If I don't get a decent price for my 5700 then I probably will just keep it because I'm not going to give it away.

Blog Entries
    Have you thought of donating your older machine to a person that will never be able to have one like it? I have always been extremely amazed at the most surprising opportunities that come my way after I give. It's like magic.

congrats on your new machine!