Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   I think my chin bounced off the pavement! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/i-think-my-chin-bounced-off-pavement-t59414.html)

Lori L 08-14-2010 04:14 PM

While on vacation in a small private beach community in the southern Maine coastal area, I attended a local craft sale. It didn't take me long to find a booth with quilted items and I headed there first. I was looking over some 8 x 10inch wall hangings that I would describe as abstract/artsy in design which were machine quilted using stitch in the ditch and echo quilting. Then I looked at the price tag......3 times because I couldnt' believe it. $200!!! I thought it must be a typo and it should be $20 so I looked through the others.....nope....$200 was correct. Now don't get me wrong, they were nice but my first thought was "I could whip up a couple of these in an afternoon." There wasn't even $20 worth of fabric in the quilts. I told my family I was going back later and if she had sold any, I was renting booth space next year and selling some larger wall hangings and quilts and putting $750 - $1000 price tags on everything. LOL. I guess it just goes to show what tourists will spend. Needless to say, I left the craft sale without buying anything quilted :)

earlylace 08-14-2010 04:16 PM

wow, maybe there are not many quilters in Maine!

Lori L 08-14-2010 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by earlylace
wow, maybe there are not many quilters in Maine!

There are many quilters in Maine. :) Just very few Mainers who vacation at this site. Most folks/families are from out of state and have been renting the same beach house for family vacations for generations. Over the past 20yrs that I have been a yearly renter, I've come to know many many people. We all seem to take the same week, year after year.

dglvr 08-14-2010 04:34 PM

I just sent your post to my friend in N. Maine. Maybe she'll go in on a booth with ya. Ha. :XD:

MomtoBostonTerriers 08-14-2010 04:35 PM

As my dear auntie used to say when she saw something that cost a lot, "It must be made of gold thread."

applique 08-14-2010 04:41 PM

Wonder if she sold anything?

mrspete 08-14-2010 04:44 PM

heeheeheee, was behind a feller a few years ago at the fair, and someone had a cow for sale. He stepped back and said, "I'd have to buy new glasses to see that price" hahhahah I nearly fell over a little youngun when I laughed so hard at that.
Blessings,
Ruth

Lori L 08-14-2010 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by dglvr
I just sent your post to my friend in N. Maine. Maybe she'll go in on a booth with ya. Ha. :XD:

Seriously, we could put together some quilts depicting the maine coast, lighthouses, blueberries, etc and probably sell everyone of them. I did go back to see how she had made out selling her 8 x 10's and she'd actually sold about 1/2 of them. Wow!

Jingle 08-14-2010 04:51 PM

All I can say is not for me. Quite pricey.

katmom54 08-14-2010 05:03 PM

haha... but you explained the problem when you said it was in 'southern Maine" and I agree that is not where the locals shop.
I helped a friend one year and we painted abstract blueberries on cheap cotton men's T shirts (very simple - only a few brush strokes!) and sold plenty of them for $25 each at a Southern Me fair...we had to re-supply throughout the weekend....further north, barely sold a dozen all weekend...we called them artwork too!
Lori - how far north are you?