Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29

Thread: I think my chin bounced off the pavement!

  1. #1
    Senior Member Lori L's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The woods of Northern Maine
    Posts
    818
    While on vacation in a small private beach community in the southern Maine coastal area, I attended a local craft sale. It didn't take me long to find a booth with quilted items and I headed there first. I was looking over some 8 x 10inch wall hangings that I would describe as abstract/artsy in design which were machine quilted using stitch in the ditch and echo quilting. Then I looked at the price tag......3 times because I couldnt' believe it. $200!!! I thought it must be a typo and it should be $20 so I looked through the others.....nope....$200 was correct. Now don't get me wrong, they were nice but my first thought was "I could whip up a couple of these in an afternoon." There wasn't even $20 worth of fabric in the quilts. I told my family I was going back later and if she had sold any, I was renting booth space next year and selling some larger wall hangings and quilts and putting $750 - $1000 price tags on everything. LOL. I guess it just goes to show what tourists will spend. Needless to say, I left the craft sale without buying anything quilted :)

  2. #2
    Super Member earlylace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Northwest, NJ
    Posts
    1,558
    wow, maybe there are not many quilters in Maine!

  3. #3
    Senior Member Lori L's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The woods of Northern Maine
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by earlylace
    wow, maybe there are not many quilters in Maine!
    There are many quilters in Maine. :) Just very few Mainers who vacation at this site. Most folks/families are from out of state and have been renting the same beach house for family vacations for generations. Over the past 20yrs that I have been a yearly renter, I've come to know many many people. We all seem to take the same week, year after year.

  4. #4
    Super Member dglvr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Eastern Washington
    Posts
    3,997
    I just sent your post to my friend in N. Maine. Maybe she'll go in on a booth with ya. Ha. :XD:

  5. #5
    Senior Member MomtoBostonTerriers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    461
    As my dear auntie used to say when she saw something that cost a lot, "It must be made of gold thread."

  6. #6
    Super Member applique's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,415
    Blog Entries
    23
    Wonder if she sold anything?

  7. #7
    Super Member mrspete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC - USA
    Posts
    2,971
    heeheeheee, was behind a feller a few years ago at the fair, and someone had a cow for sale. He stepped back and said, "I'd have to buy new glasses to see that price" hahhahah I nearly fell over a little youngun when I laughed so hard at that.
    Blessings,
    Ruth

  8. #8
    Senior Member Lori L's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The woods of Northern Maine
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by dglvr
    I just sent your post to my friend in N. Maine. Maybe she'll go in on a booth with ya. Ha. :XD:
    Seriously, we could put together some quilts depicting the maine coast, lighthouses, blueberries, etc and probably sell everyone of them. I did go back to see how she had made out selling her 8 x 10's and she'd actually sold about 1/2 of them. Wow!

  9. #9
    Power Poster Jingle's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Outside St. Louis
    Posts
    28,579
    All I can say is not for me. Quite pricey.

  10. #10
    Junior Member katmom54's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    So. Maine
    Posts
    185
    haha... but you explained the problem when you said it was in 'southern Maine" and I agree that is not where the locals shop.
    I helped a friend one year and we painted abstract blueberries on cheap cotton men's T shirts (very simple - only a few brush strokes!) and sold plenty of them for $25 each at a Southern Me fair...we had to re-supply throughout the weekend....further north, barely sold a dozen all weekend...we called them artwork too!
    Lori - how far north are you?

  11. #11
    Senior Member retired2pa's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Kingman, AZ
    Posts
    793
    Those people that bought them must have "deep pockets"...LOL

  12. #12
    Senior Member Lori L's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    The woods of Northern Maine
    Posts
    818
    Quote Originally Posted by katmom54
    haha... but you explained the problem when you said it was in 'southern Maine" and I agree that is not where the locals shop.
    I helped a friend one year and we painted abstract blueberries on cheap cotton men's T shirts (very simple - only a few brush strokes!) and sold plenty of them for $25 each at a Southern Me fair...we had to re-supply throughout the weekend....further north, barely sold a dozen all weekend...we called them artwork too!
    Lori - how far north are you?
    I'm in between Bangor and Millinocket. I live in LIncoln which geographically is actually central maine. But as you know......anything above Augusta is considered Northern ME. LOL

  13. #13
    Super Member SharonAnne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Silicon Valley, San Jose, CA
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by retired2pa
    Those people that bought them must have "deep pockets"...LOL
    LOL. Now they are "empty" deep pockets!!! Who said, "There's a sucker born every minute?" - I forget.

  14. #14
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    I've never liked making small wallhanging things but perhaps at that price. . . . LOL Not in central Illinois, a person is lucky to get that price out of a full size quilt.

  15. #15
    Super Member applique's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    MA
    Posts
    1,415
    Blog Entries
    23
    Hummmm, what is the name and info for this craft show??

  16. #16
    Super Member Charleen DiSante's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    near Boston, MA
    Posts
    1,000
    I think it could have been PT Barnum. He was right. I can not believe some of the prices peole will pay for things.
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonAnne
    Quote Originally Posted by retired2pa
    Those people that bought them must have "deep pockets"...LOL
    LOL. Now they are "empty" deep pockets!!! Who said, "There's a sucker born every minute?" - I forget.

  17. #17
    Power Poster sewnsewer2's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    16,682
    Quote Originally Posted by Lori L
    Quote Originally Posted by dglvr
    I just sent your post to my friend in N. Maine. Maybe she'll go in on a booth with ya. Ha. :XD:
    Seriously, we could put together some quilts depicting the maine coast, lighthouses, blueberries, etc and probably sell everyone of them. I did go back to see how she had made out selling her 8 x 10's and she'd actually sold about 1/2 of them. Wow!
    Holy cow!

  18. #18
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    You're right, P.T. Barnam was the one credited with that remark. Of course, as much of a con-man as he was he probably took it from someone else. LOL

  19. #19
    Power Poster sandpat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    18,757
    Blog Entries
    9
    Wow! Wonder if she is that "lucky" each year of if she hit it just right this year. It amazes me what people will buy and what they will pay for it! :hunf:

  20. #20
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    The seller is very smart. She wasn't marketing to quilters or crafters. She was marketing to tourists. She placed an appropriate value on her art work. Just because it's fabric instead of paint doesn't mean it's any less a work of art.

  21. #21
    Super Member mrspete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    NC - USA
    Posts
    2,971
    I think P T Barnham said that quote.

  22. #22
    Super Member Candace's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outer Space
    Posts
    9,839
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    The seller is very smart. She wasn't marketing to quilters or crafters. She was marketing to tourists. She placed an appropriate value on her art work. Just because it's fabric instead of paint doesn't mean it's any less a work of art.
    I agree! And I bet if she's charging $10-$15 an hour to make these, a small quilt would be in the $200 range for time and fabric. Sheesh. Let up on the woman and stop undervaluing our works. It's just perpetuates more people thinking our quilts aren't worth good $.

  23. #23
    Super Member Scissor Queen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Southwest Kansas
    Posts
    4,829
    Quote Originally Posted by Candace
    Quote Originally Posted by Scissor Queen
    The seller is very smart. She wasn't marketing to quilters or crafters. She was marketing to tourists. She placed an appropriate value on her art work. Just because it's fabric instead of paint doesn't mean it's any less a work of art.
    I agree! And I bet if she's charging $10-$15 an hour to make these, a small quilt would be in the $200 range for time and fabric. Sheesh. Let up on the woman and stop undervaluing our works. It's just perpetuates more people thinking our quilts aren't worth good $.
    I know I have several small wall hangings I wouldn't part with for less than $150. And there is no way on earth I'd even consider selling a queen size for less than $1000.

  24. #24
    Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    17,462
    Quote Originally Posted by SharonAnne
    Quote Originally Posted by retired2pa
    Those people that bought them must have "deep pockets"...LOL
    LOL. Now they are "empty" deep pockets!!! Who said, "There's a sucker born every minute?" - I forget.
    HAHAHAHAHAHA You just tickled my funny bone :mrgreen:
    And to think I thought it was my Dad's original quote hee hee

  25. #25
    Super Member kristen0112's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Salem, Oregon
    Posts
    2,442
    I had the same thought at the Sister's Quilt Show in Oregon this summer some of the quilt artist had works up for sale and they weren't cheap. One of those art quilts was listed for $7000.00 That's right $7000.00. I know that she's famous and all, and goes around the country teaching workshops BUT really $7000! It was something that I could go home and make myself. Obviously we under appreciate our talents.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.