Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   If you were to replace your rotary cutter.... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/if-you-were-replace-your-rotary-cutter-t220232.html)

icul8rg8r 04-28-2013 04:29 PM

If you were to replace your rotary cutter....

...which brand rotary cutter would you get, and why? What's your favorite? Which size to you use most often?

I have a very old Fiskars (45 I think) rotary cutter that I think I used for paper/scrapbooking. It's been working okay with a new blade, but now that I've invested in a nice rotary mat and Creative Grid & June Tailor (ShapeCut) rulers, I'd really like to invest in some nice rotary cutters, as well. Just haven't a CLUE what's best and which brands to stay away from.....

Your suggestions & recommendations would be most appreciated! Thanks in advance.

Dina 04-28-2013 04:32 PM

Well, I have a Fiskars and like it a lot, but I will be interested in this thread to see what the favorite is.

Dina

Emma S 04-28-2013 04:38 PM

I have a OLFA (45) that I really like. Just like an old friend, although she has bit me once. This particuliar one is the kind that when you grasp the handle you lower the blade and when you lay it down it automatically retracts, a really good safety feature. Have wondered about the ergonomic ones. Will be interested to hear what everyone thinks.

trennag 04-28-2013 04:51 PM

I replaced my Fiskars with an Olfa 45 and I love it!!

mike'sgirl 04-28-2013 04:52 PM

I have used both Fiskars and Olfa, and I like them both. I have seen the Martelli cutters, but they cost a lot! I don't know anyone who uses one. Maybe someone does and will give an opinion.
Also, I use a 45.

DeneK 04-28-2013 05:13 PM

I LOVE my Martelli! Thought it might take some getting used to, but it didn't. Mine is a 45 and I want to get a 60 also. All of the Martelli products are a bit pricey but my rotary cutter was worth every penny. I really, really want one of the Martelli cutting boards, but that will have to wait. Just can't justify in my budget right now.

pocoellie 04-28-2013 05:26 PM

I've used Fiskars and Olfa's and as far as I'm concerned Olfa's are the only ones for me, I have the "ergonomically" correct ones, I have a friend that was given a Martelli cutter and she has tried it and has said when it needs a new blade, it's going in the garbage.

katier825 04-28-2013 05:42 PM

I love my Olfa ergonomic cutters. The 45mm works best in my June Tailor Shape cut ruler.

CorgiNole 04-28-2013 05:49 PM

I have a Gingher that I really like for its heft. I used both Gingher and Olfa blades on it.

Cheers, K

Treasureit 04-28-2013 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by DeneK (Post 6032392)
I LOVE my Martelli! Thought it might take some getting used to, but it didn't. Mine is a 45 and I want to get a 60 also. All of the Martelli products are a bit pricey but my rotary cutter was worth every penny. I really, really want one of the Martelli cutting boards, but that will have to wait. Just can't justify in my budget right now.

Ditto...I like my Martelli too