Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Intimated!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/intimated-t124946.html)

grann of 6 05-22-2011 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by Shemomof4

Originally Posted by Charlee
Get some cheap fabic...go to goodwill or a second hand store to get it, and get after it! Cut, slice, dice, mess up, do it perfect, and practice!! :) I have faith in you...I KNOW you can do it, you just need faith in yourself! ;)

Thank you very much I wish I had more faith in myself! :D

This is something I tell my sewing students. Remember, you're not making a prom dress. Any little glitches can be incorporated into the design. And IF you make a mistake, only YOU will know, unless you tell everyone. Just enjoy the process, it is all part of the learning curve. Quilting doesn't HAVE to be perfect.

ube quilting 05-22-2011 01:21 PM

You have to do it to learn it! We all fall off the bike the first time and burn a cake, and over water a plant and, and and....... DO IT GIRL!!!! It's how we learn!!! I still have some fabric in my stash that I love so much I still can't cut it and the other fabric that I still love, I love more after it is used up into lovley quilts. Good luck, be brave. Maybe try a small project to get started like a table runner or wall hanging!

SHEMOmOF4: you have 4 kids! What are you afraid of?

SueDor 05-22-2011 02:36 PM

You can do it!

newquilter10 05-22-2011 02:38 PM

I know just how you feel. I hate to make that first cut too.

lonestardreams 05-22-2011 02:50 PM

I think I know how you feel. I am very new to quilting and find myself worrying about cutting something wrong. I have taken some classes but am now working on a quilt top that I am learning from a book- no class. I worried so much about it and thought I would never get started. I worked slowly through each instruction and I have now made 4 blocks for the quilt. It helps me to put each set of cuts in a ziploc bag and label it as I cut. Good luck. I have sewn since I was a small child and was still intimidated by cutting quilt fabric. Do it like you eat an elephant- one bite at a time.

wolfkitty 05-22-2011 05:15 PM

Originally Posted by Shemomof4

Originally Posted by Charlee
Get some cheap fabic...go to goodwill or a second hand store to get it, and get after it! Cut, slice, dice, mess up, do it perfect, and practice!! :) I have faith in you...I KNOW you can do it, you just need faith in yourself! ;)

Thank you very much I wish I had more faith in myself! :D

We have faith in you! You can do it! Practice, practice, practice!

dash2000lbs 05-22-2011 05:29 PM

I do like cutting .. Luv sewing...

Val in IN 05-23-2011 04:46 AM

So here is what I suggest. Try looking at Walmart for a bolt of their really crummy fabric (ours has a whole table of bolts for $5.00 a bolt). Nothing you would actually ever use in a quilt but you sure can practice cutting with it. after you cut, try using the cuts for practicing your 1/4" seams or decorative stitches.

Jo Mama 05-23-2011 04:50 AM

Just keep remembering"measure twice, cut once" and you will be OK.

Johanna Fritz 05-23-2011 05:23 AM

Find some really ugly fabric and learn on that. Is there a particular problem you want to overcome - sliding ruler for example (this can be fixed with Invisigrip-a clear self sticking - with the help of static - on the bottom of your ruler). So, if there is a particular issue(s), tackle them one at a time. Remember, always buy enough fabric for a project so that you will have enough of each color needed in case of a mis-cut...and any mis-cuts that occur just mean you might have to buy more fabric...aw shucks :lol:
See, no pressure there. I took a class years ago when I started. Any basic "how to quilt" class should cover rotary basics. Or maybe you have an experienced rotary cutting friend you know or in a guild who can help. Good luck.