Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   ironing surface (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-surface-t69058.html)

katiebear1 10-08-2010 11:35 AM

I know a lot of you have large ironing boards that you have made. My ? is if you use a piece of wood and cotton batting and canvas for the top..does'nt the sream from the ironsoak through to the wood? I want to make one that I can put on top of two ironing boards

costumegirl 10-08-2010 11:44 AM

I don't think the steam will affect the wood because you would have batting, a first covering (possibly muslin) and then your top covering (possibly ironing board cloth that has an aluminum finish or a heavy, close woven cotton like duck cloth). Your iron would have to be a heavy duty steamer to go through all of that.

You can buy ironing boards that have a fan mechanism in the board that will pull the steam through into the fabric of what you are ironing and then into the board. We used one in our costume department and it was terrific to 'set' seams , pleats and other required forms. They are really expensive but I would love to have one for my own personal use - they are great to use and very useful!

purplemem 10-08-2010 11:46 AM

I have a craft table that Michael's sells. It has an electrical outlet on it. I place a double layer of insul-brite on it, then cover with folded fabric. This is my ironing table. When I need to cut, I take the fabric off and put the cutting mats on. :D

I had my dh cut a piece of pegboard to place over the craft inserts (think holes to put cups in for paints) and I place my iron on that, with a silicon base for when the iron is hot.

Very convenient and good surface size.

virtualbernie 10-08-2010 12:27 PM

I covered mine with aluminum foil to help reflect the heat back up and the steam can't touch the wood.

Aunt Doggie 10-08-2010 12:28 PM

Ditto on the foil covering over the wood! :-)

katiebear1 10-08-2010 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by Aunt Doggie

Hey that is a good idea! Now if I can get Hubby to cut the piece of wood for me. I will just have to keep bugging him this weekend LOL

craftybear 10-08-2010 01:19 PM

your table sounds cool, can you take a picture of it, I will search and see if the website carries them, it would be great for workshops, retreats, etc.

Originally Posted by purplemem
I have a craft table that Michael's sells. It has an electrical outlet on it. I place a double layer of insul-brite on it, then cover with folded fabric. This is my ironing table. When I need to cut, I take the fabric off and put the cutting mats on. :D

I had my dh cut a piece of pegboard to place over the craft inserts (think holes to put cups in for paints) and I place my iron on that, with a silicon base for when the iron is hot.

Very convenient and good surface size.

purplemem 10-08-2010 01:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I suggest the Wmt portable table instead for workshops. I have one of those, too. :D

the table is 5 ft long, but folds in half. Bring a power strip and you have the same thing with more surface and more portability.

What I don't like about the craft table is that it's extremely heavy! I wouldn't move it around much.

The table from Wmt is in the camping section, just $35. Buy the power strip in the light bulb section, cheaper there than the electronics dept! This table would work great, it is 28 inches deep, and 5 ft long. a 24 x 36 cutting mat on one end, the covered batting for the ironing... also, all my dh did was cut a piece of pegboard 12 inches wide and three feet deep for the iron. Don't even need that with the silicon base.

Walmart table in camping section
[ATTACH=CONFIG]87900[/ATTACH]

twinkie 10-08-2010 03:17 PM

If it were me, I would use insulbrite under the batting also. It would also help to protect the wood. However, I am sure you could make one.

tjradj 10-08-2010 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by katiebear1

Originally Posted by Aunt Doggie

Hey that is a good idea! Now if I can get Hubby to cut the piece of wood for me. I will just have to keep bugging him this weekend LOL

Good luck with the hubby. I just go to Home Depot and get the hunks there to cut it for me. LOL That way I get it without complaints!