Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Ironing white Fairy Frost fabric (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/ironing-white-fairy-frost-fabric-t182575.html)

Tartan 03-12-2012 11:37 AM

Ironing white Fairy Frost fabric

I paper pieced an adorable pair of high heel shoes from the newest issue of Quilts from Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks magazine. I cleaned my iron, I made sure my ironing board was clean too. I just looked closely at my blocks, yep, you guessed it, iron smudges! I currently have it drying after carefully cleaning the seam lines with a q-tip and water. It's not the end of the world but still frustrating! The smudges must have come off the iron but I don't know how. Bummer!

Rose L 03-12-2012 11:48 AM

I haven't had any trouble pressing the Fairy Frost fabrics. Having said that, I have had my iron stain a quilt in the past. I believe because I had used distilled water in it previously and did not empty it when I was done pressing that the water caused a rust to form inside the reservoir. The next time I steam pressed a quilt top with the same iron the rust made spots all over the quilt top. The iron has been replaced and I haven't used steam since. If I have a tough wrinkle that needs steam, I use a spray bottle instead. So sorry you had a problem. I hope it all has disappeared once the quilt is dry.

ckcowl 03-12-2012 12:09 PM

i learned the hard way to use a piece of muslin- press cloth pretty much on all white / light fabrics. it always seems to happen on the special fabrics.

QuiltE 03-12-2012 12:45 PM

I've had some Fairy Frost fabrics ... and don't like them!

First of all ... they seem to have a "plastic" finish to them which makes them feel unnatural.
I pre-wash/shrink all my fabrics ... and the FF I have noticed that the finish has come off unevenly.

That being said, I really am not surprised to read of your dilemma.

Will I buy FF again ... no way! :)

virtualbernie 03-12-2012 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl (Post 5054034)
i learned the hard way to use a piece of muslin- press cloth pretty much on all white / light fabrics. it always seems to happen on the special fabrics.

Never thought to use a pressing cloth, thanks for the tip!

QuiltnNan 03-12-2012 01:08 PM

i sometimes have difficulties when i first heat up the iron. i turn the dial all the way up and then back a tch to the cotton setting. sometimes i don't turn the tch enough so the iron is too hot on that first press.

LeslieFrost 03-12-2012 01:14 PM

I have this happen too! I have dialed back on the heat a little, and if I remember I tip the iron down on part of the board and smush it around a second before putting it on the fabric.

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan (Post 5054198)
i sometimes have difficulties when i first heat up the iron. i turn the dial all the way up and then back a tch to the cotton setting. sometimes i don't turn the tch enough so the iron is too hot on that first press.