Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Ironing white Fairy Frost fabric >

Ironing white Fairy Frost fabric

Ironing white Fairy Frost fabric

Old 03-12-2012, 11:37 AM
Power Poster

Default Ironing white Fairy Frost fabric

I paper pieced an adorable pair of high heel shoes from the newest issue of Quilts from Quiltmaker's 100 Blocks magazine. I cleaned my iron, I made sure my ironing board was clean too. I just looked closely at my blocks, yep, you guessed it, iron smudges! I currently have it drying after carefully cleaning the seam lines with a q-tip and water. It's not the end of the world but still frustrating! The smudges must have come off the iron but I don't know how. Bummer!
Old 03-12-2012, 11:48 AM

I haven't had any trouble pressing the Fairy Frost fabrics. Having said that, I have had my iron stain a quilt in the past. I believe because I had used distilled water in it previously and did not empty it when I was done pressing that the water caused a rust to form inside the reservoir. The next time I steam pressed a quilt top with the same iron the rust made spots all over the quilt top. The iron has been replaced and I haven't used steam since. If I have a tough wrinkle that needs steam, I use a spray bottle instead. So sorry you had a problem. I hope it all has disappeared once the quilt is dry.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:09 PM
Power Poster

i learned the hard way to use a piece of muslin- press cloth pretty much on all white / light fabrics. it always seems to happen on the special fabrics.
Old 03-12-2012, 12:45 PM
Power Poster

I've had some Fairy Frost fabrics ... and don't like them!

First of all ... they seem to have a "plastic" finish to them which makes them feel unnatural.
I pre-wash/shrink all my fabrics ... and the FF I have noticed that the finish has come off unevenly.

That being said, I really am not surprised to read of your dilemma.

Will I buy FF again ... no way!
Old 03-12-2012, 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by ckcowl View Post
i learned the hard way to use a piece of muslin- press cloth pretty much on all white / light fabrics. it always seems to happen on the special fabrics.

Never thought to use a pressing cloth, thanks for the tip!
Old 03-12-2012, 01:08 PM
Power Poster

i sometimes have difficulties when i first heat up the iron. i turn the dial all the way up and then back a tch to the cotton setting. sometimes i don't turn the tch enough so the iron is too hot on that first press.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:14 PM

I have this happen too! I have dialed back on the heat a little, and if I remember I tip the iron down on part of the board and smush it around a second before putting it on the fabric.

Originally Posted by QuiltnNan View Post
i sometimes have difficulties when i first heat up the iron. i turn the dial all the way up and then back a tch to the cotton setting. sometimes i don't turn the tch enough so the iron is too hot on that first press.