Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   joanns vs lqs (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/joanns-vs-lqs-t146278.html)

leatheflea 08-19-2011 09:20 AM

While talking to the owner of our lqs she stated that Joann's fabric is substandard. Even the Micheal Miller, Kona all of it she said. In her rantings about Joann's she informed me that Joann's only gets the trial run of the prints that are printed on lower quality fabric. If that's true, then why do they still charge the same amount as the lqs. Now I've bought the same fabric at joanns and the lqs and I cant tell the difference. So do you think this gal is just trying pull my leg?

Sadiemae 08-19-2011 09:23 AM

I don't know, but ranting isn't the way for the LQS to encourage people to shop at her business.

bearisgray 08-19-2011 09:23 AM

Why don't you buy one fabric from the lqs and the "same" one from Jo-anns.

Take them both home -

Put some little mark on each one (such as a triangle or circle) - take it back to the lqs owner - and see if she can tell the difference?

Zhillslady 08-19-2011 09:25 AM

No I believe her because I called one of the manufactures last year. I was at Joann's and was shocked to see almost the same fabric that was at LQS for like $3 yard cheaper. When I called they had a rep call me back and he explained that it's a different fabric run and if I compared the 2 together I would see the LQS one was a higher quality fabric. I can't say its true for all of them but it was the one I asked. At the Joann's in Brandon FL the prices are the same if not higher than my LQS. I was there last week and many of the quilting cottons were $9.99 yard and the batiks were $12.99. The same fabrics are at my LQS for $9.99/$10.99 and her batiks are $9.99. I try and support her when I can. Joann's claims well they have coupons however I never have one current when I'm going so I'll stick the the LQS when I can. I do get W&N batting at Wal-mart for $5.25 yard.

bearisgray 08-19-2011 09:30 AM

http://www.quiltingboard.com/user_po...m=12167&page=1

This is a posting about Kona Cottons

It MAY apply to other lines, also.

Granny Quilter 08-19-2011 09:34 AM

She wants all your business.

Kas 08-19-2011 09:43 AM

Joann doesn't have the same quality on most fabrics. To be fair, I have seen some lesser quality fabric lines at my LQS, too. But I don't buy it if it doesn't feel good or have a tighter weave. If I can, I buy all my notions at Joann with a coupon, but my fabric at the LQS. My friend's shop gives me 10% off because I am a member of a quild and she also has a punch card reward system. I try to use her or the other local LQSs because of the punch cards. Joann hasn't conviced me I should spend the same amount for lesser quality goods (Kona excepted). I also get irritated when someplace raises the prices so they can get a bigger price on sales.

fabric_fancy 08-19-2011 10:02 AM

if each store has the same fabric from the same manufacturer its the same.

Kaufman is trying so hard to stop these lies because it reflects on them.

Honey 08-19-2011 10:19 AM

I've read that this is true, but she should have said it in a better way.

Favorite Fabrics 08-19-2011 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
if each store has the same fabric from the same manufacturer its the same.

Kaufman is trying so hard to stop these lies because it reflects on them.

Agreed.

I would say, though, that even in the higher-priced designer calicos that JoAnn carries, you have to look at it very carefully. I have seen (fairly frequently) problems in the printing that repeat throughout the whole bolt, or irregularities in the weave of the cloth (slubs etc). Neither of these will affect how the fabric holds up, but you will want to watch as they unroll & cut it, to make sure there aren't any flaws in it. Especially if you're buying it for backing, or any other time you need a large piece.