Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Just curious... (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/just-curious-t21248.html)

zennia 06-12-2009 02:31 PM

I stick to buying by the yard. If I have a special project in mind,like my civil war quilt, I will buy the fq bundles.

MadQuilter 06-12-2009 02:34 PM

I've bought packs before and when I get them home, I can never find the perfect pattern for them. I think of them as garnishments for my stash - something pretty to look at but not "eat."

Shemjo 06-12-2009 02:35 PM

I buy yardage. Have not gotten into FQs because I get upset if I don't have enough of a fabric to do something if I change my mind. :?

patricej 06-12-2009 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
Ok I guess I'm the VERY odd one here as I never look at FQ when in a store :oops: Not sure why? I just like the big bolts to look at I guess. But have gotten them from my fabric angels and LOVED them :D

you aren't odd for that. at least i'll never say so because i almost always pass on the fats unless they're on sale for $1 or less.

i've tried them several times ... in bundles and as onesies. the colorful stacks are fun to look through, but once i try to use them, i'm disappointed 95% of the time. they are so rarely at least 18" x 22" i don't dare count on them when trying to figure out whether or not i have enough.

i'd probably feel differently if i wasn't so hopelessly unable to get scrappy with my quilts. :lol:

sunnyhope 06-12-2009 02:47 PM

where is the best place to buy pretty plain( plain or marbeled like) in yardage :wink:
or is anyone of you selling any,lol

Ninnie 06-12-2009 03:25 PM

99% of what i buy is fat quarters, sinc eI'm a old fashioned quilter. I love using lots of pieces in my quilts and view them as having values,, rather than just colors! :lol:

When I buy yardage I actually get sick on my stomach, thinking about how many fgs I could have had instead :wink:

littlehud 06-12-2009 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bevanger
Ok I guess I'm the VERY odd one here as I never look at FQ when in a store :oops: Not sure why? I just like the big bolts to look at I guess. But have gotten them from my fabric angels and LOVED them :D

I was the same way Bev. I think mine came from sewing clothing for so many years I just headed for the bolts of fabric. I am learning to really love fat quarters though. I buy fabrics I like and very seldom buy lines of fabric.

OHSue 06-12-2009 07:05 PM

I only buy FQ when they are on sale, but I do buy lots of half yards of fabric, so in my mind I buy two FQ at a time.
But my LQS gives free FQ with each purchase, even those half yard purchases I make, so I made it a point to only take blue FQ since I knew I would someday make a bed quilt for my bedroom in blue. It is a testament to how often I am in that place when I see how many FQ I have accumulated.

Pinkrose4664 06-12-2009 07:25 PM

I'm with Shem. I would like to use FQs, I have gotten them as gifts. I am always afraid that whatever quilt I plan, I won't have enough of a fabric, then what do you do if you can't get anymore?

Anna

gcathie 06-12-2009 09:44 PM

I've done both.....a lot does depend on the price too...