Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Keeping track of projects (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/keeping-track-projects-t23863.html)

Fris 08-07-2009 08:54 AM

I saw a string asking how many projects you have going at once, so now that I've determined I'm not alone, I have a question for you. How do you organize those projects? I mean, how do you keep them from getting mixed up or figuring out where you are?

O.K., so maybe a few questions.... :oops:

MNQuilter 08-07-2009 09:02 AM

I have four very distinct projects right now. One is a lap quilt that I am handquilting, one has the blocks all assembled and I am starting to assemble the top, one is a block exchange and the other I just picked up the fabric for and it is very different from any other fabric I have around. I guess they are all in different spots in the house so that helps too!

MelissaK 08-07-2009 09:14 AM

Ziploc Baggies! and drawers

Mamaskeeto 08-07-2009 09:19 AM

I bought these storage boxes from WalMart that stack nicely on my shelf. Need to say I need to pick up a few more. I think I have way too many projects in the works right now.

BellaBoo 08-07-2009 09:21 AM

WalMart has big square white boxes in the craft dept. that are great for keeping quilt projects together. It is big enough to hold everything for one quilt. It has a place for a reusualbe label on front and they stack great. When I start a project I put everything in one of the boxes and that way I don't have to search for the supplies to finish when I get back to it. I always put a note in the box where I stopped on the project and the next step. That has saved me tons of time when I get back to it.

amma 08-07-2009 09:31 AM

A number of people here also use pizza boxes...you can get them reasonably priced from most pizza establishments :wink:

kluedesigns 08-07-2009 09:57 AM

i go to my local pizza place and ask them to give me some new pizza boxes.

i get the largest pizza box they have and i can stack them very nicely in my room.

i tape the computer image of the quilt design on the top of the box along with an index card that details where i left off. each project gets it own box.

when i receive a work order i set the box up even if all i have in there is the fabric i need to make the quilt. this way i never use "spoken for" fabric in another project by mistake.

kluedesigns 08-07-2009 09:59 AM

i seem to have a running theme in my quilting life..........

i should be called The Frugal Quilter

SaraSewing 08-07-2009 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by MelissaK
Ziploc Baggies! and drawers

me too! Big bags keep instructions, extra fabric, partially finished blocks, etc.

Scmetimes I get bogged down for a bit and need a change. But I have everything together. Keep those instructions handy!!

Oh, one more thing. When I gather fabric from my stash that will perfect for a someday plan, I put the intended pattern/photo with it so I don't forget. That keeps my cluttered little brain on track.

Fris 08-07-2009 10:12 AM

A few of my projects are full to queen size, how do you fit the fabric for those in a pizza box? I really like the idea since that would take up less space, just not sure how I would fit everything in.