Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lap quilt (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lap-quilt-t211567.html)

badaisie 01-21-2013 04:10 AM

Lap quilt

How large would you make a lap quilt for someone in a wheel chair?

NJ Quilter 01-21-2013 04:14 AM

That's a toughie. I think as much consideration needs to be given for the size of the person as well as the chair and how mobile they are in the chair. Do they scoot along with their feet in the chair or actually use the handwheels? Or is someone else doing the pushing. I would say the less mobile they are, the larger you could go, otherwise I'd probably stick to a smaller lap size - maybe a tad larger than crib size. Don't know if that's much help for you, just some things to think about.

HillCountryGal 01-21-2013 04:33 AM

If you sit in a chair with a piece of fabric across your lap.. then imagine wheels, etc. You'll have a good idea of the size you need. If you're still not confident with those measurements, call or go by a nursing home. You're sure to get the right numbers then.

**If your lap robe is going to someone in a nursing home, consider who will be washing it. If the nursing home does, it will be washed in extremely hot water and often. Any lap robes I've made that goes to a nursing home was made from polyester. That fabric lasts forever! :)

Jackie Spencer 01-21-2013 04:48 AM

Several of the ladies in my quilting group made lap quilts for a nursing home at Christmas time. We made them about the size of a crib quilt. Approx. 36 x 45.

Suzette316 01-21-2013 04:50 AM

I made one last year for lovely neighbor and it was 45 X 45. She found that to be the perfect size for her. It draped nicely over her legs, but didn't interfere with the wheels on her chair.

Yarn or Fabric 01-21-2013 05:16 AM

I like to tuck my blankets under my feet when I'm laying on the couch. I do not need a wheel chair but I wonder if it were me in the chair and I was in the chair a lot, I'd probably want to tuck that blanket under my feet too. How cool would it be to have a folded down side, about foot length to tuck your feet in to? I know it would probably be a nuisance and not being in a chair I don't have a way to really see if it would work. You could make it longer and put ties or snaps on it for when you want to fold it down so you have a foot tuck area. Just thinking out loud. I don't really mean or want to start a why that isn't a good idea debate. Just had to throw out my thought process..

ckcowl 01-21-2013 05:47 AM

most of the ones we made for the care facility were between 30" x 40" & 36" x 45"...those seemed to fit most everyone---sometimes we had a request for a shorter one (30" x 30") and for a couple pretty large guys- in big-motorized chairs we made ones that were 36"x 54"...
best if you know the person is to measure- across the seat of the chair (usually about 24") add a couple inches to each side to tuck it in (over/around them) then measure from waist to ankles- with them sitting- you don't want it too long- or it can tangle with foot pedals or catch on wheels.

Blackberry 01-21-2013 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by badaisie (Post 5801641)
How large would you make a lap quilt for someone in a wheel chair?

I make them all the time for the residents at a local Nursing Home. I use the crib size batt of WN which is 45x60 and in order to keep from having pieces of batting that I don't know what to do with, I make the quilt to fit as closely as possible to the crib quilt batt. Mostly mine are about 42" x 58".

patchsamkim 01-21-2013 07:10 AM

I usually do 42x54 or close to that size...1-1/2 yards for the back. That is also the size I usually make a baby quilt.

PaperPrincess 01-21-2013 07:28 AM

And if it is going to a nursing home, make sure that it has the recipient's name on it in HUGE letters.