Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Thread: Lap quilt

Lap quilt

How large would you make a lap quilt for someone in a wheel chair?

That's a toughie. I think as much consideration needs to be given for the size of the person as well as the chair and how mobile they are in the chair. Do they scoot along with their feet in the chair or actually use the handwheels? Or is someone else doing the pushing. I would say the less mobile they are, the larger you could go, otherwise I'd probably stick to a smaller lap size - maybe a tad larger than crib size. Don't know if that's much help for you, just some things to think about.

If you sit in a chair with a piece of fabric across your lap.. then imagine wheels, etc. You'll have a good idea of the size you need. If you're still not confident with those measurements, call or go by a nursing home. You're sure to get the right numbers then.

**If your lap robe is going to someone in a nursing home, consider who will be washing it. If the nursing home does, it will be washed in extremely hot water and often. Any lap robes I've made that goes to a nursing home was made from polyester. That fabric lasts forever!

Several of the ladies in my quilting group made lap quilts for a nursing home at Christmas time. We made them about the size of a crib quilt. Approx. 36 x 45.

I made one last year for lovely neighbor and it was 45 X 45. She found that to be the perfect size for her. It draped nicely over her legs, but didn't interfere with the wheels on her chair.

I like to tuck my blankets under my feet when I'm laying on the couch. I do not need a wheel chair but I wonder if it were me in the chair and I was in the chair a lot, I'd probably want to tuck that blanket under my feet too. How cool would it be to have a folded down side, about foot length to tuck your feet in to? I know it would probably be a nuisance and not being in a chair I don't have a way to really see if it would work. You could make it longer and put ties or snaps on it for when you want to fold it down so you have a foot tuck area. Just thinking out loud. I don't really mean or want to start a why that isn't a good idea debate. Just had to throw out my thought process..

Blog Entries
    most of the ones we made for the care facility were between 30" x 40" & 36" x 45"...those seemed to fit most everyone---sometimes we had a request for a shorter one (30" x 30") and for a couple pretty large guys- in big-motorized chairs we made ones that were 36"x 54"...
    best if you know the person is to measure- across the seat of the chair (usually about 24") add a couple inches to each side to tuck it in (over/around them) then measure from waist to ankles- with them sitting- you don't want it too long- or it can tangle with foot pedals or catch on wheels.
    hiding away in my stash where i'm warm, safe and happy

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by badaisie View Post
    How large would you make a lap quilt for someone in a wheel chair?
    I make them all the time for the residents at a local Nursing Home. I use the crib size batt of WN which is 45x60 and in order to keep from having pieces of batting that I don't know what to do with, I make the quilt to fit as closely as possible to the crib quilt batt. Mostly mine are about 42" x 58".

I usually do 42x54 or close to that size...1-1/2 yards for the back. That is also the size I usually make a baby quilt.

Blog Entries
    And if it is going to a nursing home, make sure that it has the recipient's name on it in HUGE letters.
    "I do not understand how anyone can live without one small place of enchantment to turn to."
    Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings

Do any of you that make these wheel chair lap quilts, round off the 2 bottom corners? I have heard of people doing this so the quilt does not catch in the wheels

Blog Entries
    When I make quilts for nursing homes,I use corduroy and heavy flannel: they will be washed and dried on hot settings. I also embroider,in big letters in contrasting color,the name of the resident.

Quote Originally Posted by PaperPrincess View Post
    And if it is going to a nursing home, make sure that it has the recipient's name on it in HUGE letters.
    This is a great point...I made a special Bow tie lap quilt for my sister's sister-in-laws 75th birthday(they live out of state), did a regular label on the back with her name date etc. My sister saw it once....next visit....no one knew what happened to it. So I made another nine patch with a 9 in block in the center with large letters. "Be kind return to ............." Did not look as nice but did the trick. I was disappointed that the first special one was gone, it was so nice.

Judy in Phx, AZ

Our local nursing home has requested nothing bigger than 36X 36 for lap quilts.
    I Quilt Therefore I Am

Pat

Thank You everyone....

Unfortunately I can't find the link but I've seen a pattern that cuts off the bottom corners so they don't trail and includes a pocket on the front to keep a hankie etc in. This is what I'm talking about http://sackvillethreaders.weebly.com...tructions.html (scroll down for pic) Perhaps someone else has the link.
    Lang may yer lum reek. (I'm a knitter - hence - 'Knit-ette'. Confuses a lot of people!)

QM
    It really depends on the size of the person. I have seen recommendations of 36-45" square and several sizes for other rectangles. When I am in my chair, I prefer 45x54, which allows me to tuck my feet in nicely. An amputee, of course, will want a shorter quilt. Like Patchsamkin, I use the same size for baby quilts, on the theory that they can be crawled on early on and make nice TV quilts later.

PaperPrincess is right about labeling. 2 relatives had quilts "borrowed" in nursing homes. One was not returned ever.

The size thats most common is 36" x45". It is so helpful to have flannel backing to prevent falling off lap.

I make crocheted afghans for the veterans nursing home and they request the size of 42" x 54". It tucks in around them to keep them warm and won't be too long to get caught up in the wheels of wheelchairs.

Quote Originally Posted by pattypurple View Post
    Our local nursing home has requested nothing bigger than 36X 36 for lap quilts.
    This is the size that was suggested to me for our sewing group. And I think the suggestion that was in the quilt pattern of a fleece or flannel back to keep from slipping is an excellent idea.

max of 45 x 60

When my grandfather was in a nursing home, I also put ties on one end to keep the quilt in his lap and to keep it from sliding off.
    If you wouldn't write it and sign it, don't say it.

I found this on the net...maybe it will help you

http://bcquilter.wordpress.com/quilt...n-quilt-sizes/

45 x 45 seems about right. The width is enough to tuck in around the sides and the length is right for putting over the knees and not compromising the wheels.

Our quilt guild made them for a nursing home last year and they were 45 x 45.