Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Last year I spent $$$ on quilting stuff (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/last-year-i-spent-%24%24%24-quilting-stuff-t108584.html)

katyquilter 03-18-2011 07:19 AM

I think I spend a lot also, but my husband is a model railroader, and although we don't keep tabs, I'm sure he spends quite a few dollars more than I do on his hobby!!

mzsooz 03-18-2011 07:33 AM

Got me to wondering so I looked up what I have spent and it is way more than I thought but not as much as you ladies spend. I spend $300 last year and have only spent $20 so far this year. Of course I haven't done much quilting this year so far. Luckily I have been winning gift certificates from the fabshophop so that has been keeping me in fabric.

Having said all this... I will be spending more soon. I have a bunch of projects I can't finish because I need to pick up a fabric or two for each one!

Raggiemom 03-18-2011 07:35 AM

I think if you only spent $966 in a year you're doing great! I shudder to think how much mine would add up to :(

feline fanatic 03-18-2011 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by great aunt jacqui
I save all my reciepts and at tax time I sort and add what I spend on food, fuel, medical and hobbies. Well I was amazed when I saw I spent $966 for my quilting alone. A third of that was for kits.(that are in my closet). No wonder I am on a fabric moratorium this year. I am doing good on that. I feel guilty that $ did not go to bills...

I will do better in 2011, frugal will be my middle name and will work from my stash. I will only ask for gift certificates for holidays and my birthday etc.

OMG I have you so beat. I don't even know the exact dollar figure but I bought a longarm last year so I easily did what you did TIMES TEN!! :shock: :shock:

great aunt jacqui 03-18-2011 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Extreme Quilter
If a lot of that money went to building your fabric stash, you would be glad you did as the price of fabric is skyrocketing and of poorer quality these days.

I agree I am planning to use it all. but I have stopped buying for the moratorium. THAT in itself has mademe feel better. just like everything...Sticker shock.

Barbm 03-18-2011 08:29 AM

I bought a sewing/emb. machine that I looked at out of the box, put it back because I'm moving my sewing room, that alone is triple what you spent.

But- I've cut back because I don't need so much fabric anymore, I can pull from my stash and I've learned to buy only blenders and not look at full lines. It seems my "urges" are now less costly because I am satiated with my 20 tubs of fabric.

(only took me 2 years...)

darlin121 03-18-2011 08:34 AM

I don't know how much I've spent, I don't want to know..... or more to the point I don't want my husband to know! lol

BabyCakes 03-18-2011 09:50 AM

I spent that on after christmas sales on my way home from my mom's. Stopped at 3 quilt stores. :oops:

ckcowl 03-18-2011 12:16 PM

i was so excited this year when i totalled up all of my receipts for 2010 I made more than i spent! 1st time ever---i try to quilt for people and sell quilts to support my habit...this is the first time i didn't spend ALOT more than i bring in...i couldn't pay my bills on what i made, but i managed to put extra away for some upgrades for my machine & stuff this year.
i did spend about $1700...but i brought in almost $3000!
i probably wont be able to say that next year...if i spend the money on upgrades i will have to work twice as hard this year...and so far this year---haven't made a dime...but i've certainly spent a few...

JanetWall 03-19-2011 03:36 AM

I added mine up. And you would be shocked. Keep in mind a Babylock Embroidery Machine and a Serger. 13,000.00 for the year.