Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Last year I spent $$$ on quilting stuff (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/last-year-i-spent-%24%24%24-quilting-stuff-t108584.html)

great aunt jacqui 03-18-2011 05:31 AM

I save all my reciepts and at tax time I sort and add what I spend on food, fuel, medical and hobbies. Well I was amazed when I saw I spent $966 for my quilting alone. A third of that was for kits.(that are in my closet). No wonder I am on a fabric moratorium this year. I am doing good on that. I feel guilty that $ did not go to bills...

I will do better in 2011, frugal will be my middle name and will work from my stash. I will only ask for gift certificates for holidays and my birthday etc.

Kathios 03-18-2011 05:42 AM

It is hard to be frugal when you live in NH--so many fabric stores and great bargains as well. Do you live close enough to visit Marden's in Sanford Maine? Deadly.

babyfireo4 03-18-2011 05:59 AM

Maybe I can help your guilt :) When we got out tax check back, instead of paying off some extra bills I set up my quilting area and built up my stash. I'm probably in about 1500 this year so far..... The guilty part is my hubby doesn't know exactly how much I've spent. He saw the new machine, cutting board, rulers, rotary cutters, fabric, thread, batting, backing, flat head pins, safety pins, magazines, iron..... see where this is going :) I still walk in with a few yards of fabric at a time and he still never says a word! He did get a used truck so maybe he thinks it's fair, but I won't hold my breath ;)

PaperPrincess 03-18-2011 05:59 AM

Is that ALL you spent? See, there's a reason I don't add everything up.

great aunt jacqui 03-18-2011 05:59 AM

I am in the western and southern part of the state, but will put that on a list for my birthday trip

Annaquilts 03-18-2011 06:06 AM

I try not to add up all the receipts. It would make me feel guilty. I did ask for gift certificates for my birthday etc. but it has not happened yet. Enjoy your stash and kits but besure to still get a little treat once in awhile. I find I need it for inspiration and sanity.

atvrider 03-18-2011 06:21 AM

I don't know how much I spend per year - at least 2000 and I don't feel at all quilty. The bills will get paid - eventually, and I work hard for my money so I deserve to have my fun.

Extreme Quilter 03-18-2011 06:28 AM

If a lot of that money went to building your fabric stash, you would be glad you did as the price of fabric is skyrocketing and of poorer quality these days.

BETTY62 03-18-2011 06:32 AM

I know the feeling. I added up just a few and was shocked.

oksewglad 03-18-2011 07:16 AM

I keep tabs, too. I went overbudget last year (not by too much.) Plan on doing better this year by buying just what I need to finish a project rather than add on that extra 1/2 to a yard. And of course only buying fabric I truly love and really good sale items. Well maybe I'll stay underbudget this year?!

I like keeping tabs of 95% of our household expenses. It puts a reality check on what you are spending where. If you want a big ticket item you can see where you can cut to afford it.