Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Led Lights (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/led-lights-t200827.html)

gigi712 09-18-2012 07:42 AM

Led Lights

Has anybody tried them yet? I don't have enough light on my Janome 6600. I've been looking at them online and just got the Connecting Threads catalog where they are featured also. I just don't know whether to invest in them or not. Would appreciate hearing any and all responses.

RkayD 09-18-2012 07:48 AM

you could try getting one of the lights that stick on to see if thats what you need.

Deborahlees 09-18-2012 08:04 AM

I have a bendable, stickon, electric, led light from Nancys Notions.....on my quilting sewing machine. Do not know how I would be able to live without it.....good pin point light at the needle, where I need it....I am very carefull about turning it off when I walk away from the machine so I will get good life out of it......

EasyPeezy 09-18-2012 08:07 AM

I have the Janome 6600 and added a bendable bright light (one LED). It helps but when my
eyes are tired I could use some more light. The one that Connecting Threads is selling
sounds interesting. Let us know if you try it.

Skyangel 09-18-2012 08:21 AM

I have 2 of the bendable LED lights. The one I use is plug-in electric and magnetic. I stick it on whatever vintage metal machine I'm using - Featherweight, Viking, ect. It has 10 LEDs and is a great help with the older dim-single-bulb machines. My Mom recently gave me one that is stick on, it is an inexpensive 3 LED "Dritz" brand that she got from Joann with a coupon. it is battery operated and I'm not sure if I will use it or exchange it. My Bernina has a u-shaped florescent light and I have an Ott-light next to the cabinet it's in. It might be helpful on my serger, which has no light.

gigi712 09-18-2012 08:23 AM

I have one of those bendable mighty bright lites, too, the problem with it is that it gets in the way and after sewing for a while, I see colored dots everywhere I look. Couldn't be these old eyes. Naaaah! Nevah!

Ok, I'm going for it. Will let you know if it helps or not.

Peckish 09-18-2012 08:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One of the things to remember about LEDs is when they eventually burn out, they are not replaceable. I learned this the hard way when the LED bulb on one of my machines dimmed significantly. I took it in to be replaced and the technician told me I had to buy a whole new machine! :shock:

So, consider the fact that when your light goes out, you will have to toss it and buy a new one. Granted, they do last a long time - the light on my machine was on A LOT for 5-6 years (sometimes overnight).

I purchased a $10 lamp at IKEA, the neck is bendable like Gumby and it stays where I put it. I like the fact that I can use it at my machine, or take it in to a different room and sit with my husband while I do handwork. IKEA also has one that clamps on.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]363843[/ATTACH]

joyce888 09-18-2012 08:47 AM

I bought a small stick-on LED light with a flexable neck for my machine; about $10. I also use floor standing Ott Lights and LED desk lamps at cutting table and sewing table.

Kitsie 09-18-2012 08:56 AM

I agree, Gigi. Its somewhat useful but the "glint" bouncing off shiny things like the pressure foot, my tweezers, etc is a nuisance and as you say, it gets in the way. Would like one with a bigger, softer "spread" of light. Its a must for black-on-black though!

QuiltnNan 09-18-2012 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by Deborahlees (Post 5523508)
..I am very carefull about turning it off when I walk away from the machine so I will get good life out of it......

actually, from everything that i've read online, the led's last tens of thousands of hours... so they are a very good investment