Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Lets talk about kits. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lets-talk-about-kits-t58671.html)

virginialbrown 08-09-2010 07:05 PM

Personally I wash all my fabric before I start my project. There is no washing of fabrics in kits. I also have got them where the borders are cut across the grain instead of with the grain. That saves them money but, it stretches. Besides I like to make the measurements down the middle going up and down and cut 2 the same length and and measure across the middle of my project going from selvage to selvage and cut 2 more. When put together it is always a perfect square or rectangle. You can not do that with a quilt. Do you feel you have a problem with them or is it just me.

debbieumphress 08-09-2010 08:23 PM

I love to order kits and do not prewash myself. Unless it is burgundy or red. Never noticed a stretch but I have been lucky. I also will wiggle in any extra fabric because when I quilt it, it all quilts out.LOL. Reminds me of Cathy MIller the singing quilter "You can quilt that out...." She's funny. Enjoy your kits, I do.

mygirl66 08-10-2010 03:28 AM

Originally Posted by debbieumphress
I love to order kits and do not prewash myself. Unless it is burgundy or red. Never noticed a stretch but I have been lucky. I also will wiggle in any extra fabric because when I quilt it, it all quilts out.LOL. Reminds me of Cathy MIller the singing quilter "You can quilt that out...." She's funny. Enjoy your kits, I do.

Same here!

raptureready 08-10-2010 03:42 AM

Originally Posted by virginialbrown
Personally I wash all my fabric before I start my project. There is no washing of fabrics in kits. I also have got them where the borders are cut across the grain instead of with the grain. That saves them money but, it stretches. Besides I like to make the measurements down the middle going up and down and cut 2 the same length and and measure across the middle of my project going from selvage to selvage and cut 2 more. When put together it is always a perfect square or rectangle. You can not do that with a quilt. Do you feel you have a problem with them or is it just me.

The only kits I've ever ordered have been from mlaceruby on here and they've been really nice.

ktbb 08-10-2010 03:49 AM

I don't use kits, but for a different reason - I like to pick my own fabrics. The issue you raise is another reason to continue doing my own.

thismomquilts 08-10-2010 03:51 AM

I've only purchased a few kits and so far, so good.

BevD 08-10-2010 04:10 AM

I've had a few kits and never had a problem. I also like to have things all organised for me sometimes...including the fabric so I can just sew LOL.

grann of 6 08-10-2010 04:23 AM

I love kits. I like the ones from connectingthreads.com. I can never find a complete set in my LQS, plus I don't have the patience for standing there trying to make decisions. I have made several of their table runners, both for myself and my daughter. She loves them. I also like to have some around in case I need a quick gift; everything is all gathered together and ready to sew. I don't prewash them either. I have never had a problem with colors running with the ones I have made for myself. If in doubt I get out the color catchers.

mlaceruby 08-10-2010 04:25 AM

Understand where you are coming from, if you are a quilter who wants to control all aspects of a quilt, then you will never be happy with a kit.
even the most expensive ones will never live up to the heirloom quality quidelines that you use with each quilt.
This is your way of quilting and it makes you happy so stick with it!
I never cut my borders to size always cut larger, sew then trim. this way no stretching and it doesn't matter if with the gran or not!

quiltstodo 08-10-2010 11:26 AM

I buy kits from connecting threads when they are on clearance to use for my QOV quilts and have had no problem with their kits.