Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Lets talk about kits.

  1. #1

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    31
    Personally I wash all my fabric before I start my project. There is no washing of fabrics in kits. I also have got them where the borders are cut across the grain instead of with the grain. That saves them money but, it stretches. Besides I like to make the measurements down the middle going up and down and cut 2 the same length and and measure across the middle of my project going from selvage to selvage and cut 2 more. When put together it is always a perfect square or rectangle. You can not do that with a quilt. Do you feel you have a problem with them or is it just me.

  2. #2
    Power Poster
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    North Texas
    Posts
    10,710
    Blog Entries
    36
    I love to order kits and do not prewash myself. Unless it is burgundy or red. Never noticed a stretch but I have been lucky. I also will wiggle in any extra fabric because when I quilt it, it all quilts out.LOL. Reminds me of Cathy MIller the singing quilter "You can quilt that out...." She's funny. Enjoy your kits, I do.

  3. #3
    mygirl66's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Location
    Flint, MI
    Posts
    1,697
    Quote Originally Posted by debbieumphress
    I love to order kits and do not prewash myself. Unless it is burgundy or red. Never noticed a stretch but I have been lucky. I also will wiggle in any extra fabric because when I quilt it, it all quilts out.LOL. Reminds me of Cathy MIller the singing quilter "You can quilt that out...." She's funny. Enjoy your kits, I do.
    Same here!

  4. #4
    Super Member raptureready's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Illinois
    Posts
    5,299
    Quote Originally Posted by virginialbrown
    Personally I wash all my fabric before I start my project. There is no washing of fabrics in kits. I also have got them where the borders are cut across the grain instead of with the grain. That saves them money but, it stretches. Besides I like to make the measurements down the middle going up and down and cut 2 the same length and and measure across the middle of my project going from selvage to selvage and cut 2 more. When put together it is always a perfect square or rectangle. You can not do that with a quilt. Do you feel you have a problem with them or is it just me.
    The only kits I've ever ordered have been from mlaceruby on here and they've been really nice.

  5. #5
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Anchorage, AK
    Posts
    1,294
    I don't use kits, but for a different reason - I like to pick my own fabrics. The issue you raise is another reason to continue doing my own.

  6. #6
    thismomquilts's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    here! :)
    Posts
    1,491
    I've only purchased a few kits and so far, so good.

  7. #7
    Senior Member BevD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Adelaide, Australia
    Posts
    329
    I've had a few kits and never had a problem. I also like to have things all organised for me sometimes...including the fabric so I can just sew LOL.

  8. #8
    Super Member grann of 6's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Glenmoore, PA
    Posts
    7,468
    Blog Entries
    1
    I love kits. I like the ones from connectingthreads.com. I can never find a complete set in my LQS, plus I don't have the patience for standing there trying to make decisions. I have made several of their table runners, both for myself and my daughter. She loves them. I also like to have some around in case I need a quick gift; everything is all gathered together and ready to sew. I don't prewash them either. I have never had a problem with colors running with the ones I have made for myself. If in doubt I get out the color catchers.

  9. #9
    mlaceruby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Somerset PA
    Posts
    901
    Understand where you are coming from, if you are a quilter who wants to control all aspects of a quilt, then you will never be happy with a kit.
    even the most expensive ones will never live up to the heirloom quality quidelines that you use with each quilt.
    This is your way of quilting and it makes you happy so stick with it!
    I never cut my borders to size always cut larger, sew then trim. this way no stretching and it doesn't matter if with the gran or not!

  10. #10
    Senior Member quiltstodo's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Santa Clara, CA
    Posts
    597
    I buy kits from connecting threads when they are on clearance to use for my QOV quilts and have had no problem with their kits.

  11. #11
    pookie ookie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Trifid Nebula
    Posts
    1,305
    I buy kits and BOMs because I like to alter other people's work and I can't always stand upright long enough to cut fabric. I also enjoy all of the leftover fabrics.

    I like Stitchin' Heaven, Fat Quarter Shop and Connecting Threads. Some eBay folks are pretty cool, too.

    There are some really sharp BOMs out there. Stitchin' Heaven's Ladies of the Sea applique BOM makes me practically giddy. Ain't she sweet? http://store.stitchinheaven.com/stor...&Item_ID=15441

  12. #12
    Senior Member Rose Hall's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Posts
    758
    All of the reasons you listed here is the reason I started my business, Custom Quilt Kits! I could never find a kit that was EXACTLY what I wanted. It was either the wrong size, the wrong colors, or the wrong type of fabric.

    It's nice to know that I'm not the only way that felt this way about kits.

    Rose Hall

  13. #13
    Senior Member cindyg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cypress (NW Houston), TX
    Posts
    583
    I've never bought a kit. I prefer to choose my own fabrics and I almost never make a quilt that I've followed the instructions of the pattern completely so what I get in a kit probably would not satisfy me. I also am a firm believer in washing my fabrics - and I wash them before they ever go back to my sewing room. I put lots of effort into a quilt and it bled when I washed it to get the quilting marks out. I learned my lesson. That's getting off topic, isn't it? LOL There is something good to say about kits - my BFF feels she can't cut worth a flip so she's happy to get a kit that's all cut out for her.

  14. #14
    Senior Member chickadee_42us's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Smack dab between Dallas and Tyler, Texas
    Posts
    759
    Quote Originally Posted by pookie ookie
    I buy kits and BOMs because I like to alter other people's work and I can't always stand upright long enough to cut fabric. I also enjoy all of the leftover fabrics.

    I like Stitchin' Heaven, Fat Quarter Shop and Connecting Threads. Some eBay folks are pretty cool, too.

    There are some really sharp BOMs out there. Stitchin' Heaven's Ladies of the Sea applique BOM makes me practically giddy. Ain't she sweet? http://store.stitchinheaven.com/stor...&Item_ID=15441

    Yikes, giddy isn't the word, awestruck seems more appropriate in my world.

  15. #15
    Super Member brenda21's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    5,126
    If I buy a kit, the pieces aren't precut and usually I'll only buy the kit if I love the fabric that comes with it. I've never had a problem with any kit that I have purchased.

  16. #16
    Super Member hobo2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Boonsboro, MD
    Posts
    2,724
    Blog Entries
    1
    I stopped buying kit because I never get around to doing them as I am always working on my own designs.

  17. #17

    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by mlaceruby
    Understand where you are coming from, if you are a quilter who wants to control all aspects of a quilt, then you will never be happy with a kit.
    even the most expensive ones will never live up to the heirloom quality quidelines that you use with each quilt.
    This is your way of quilting and it makes you happy so stick with it!
    I never cut my borders to size always cut larger, sew then trim. this way no stretching and it doesn't matter if with the gran or not!
    Hi, I think you hit the nail on the head. I really never noticed that I was that way. I do have definite ideas for fabrics and colors and prefer to pick it out myself. I do make changes in most things I make. If I feel another color and family will make it stand out more I do my own thing. If I don't like the shape of a applique flower or critter, I change it a bit. Guess that is how you make it your own. I appreciate everyones imput. You just think your the only one that feels that way. LOL

  18. #18
    Super Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    2,063
    I have purchased only two kits and had some problems with the instructions on both of them. You could do what they asked but it was very awkward and after making one walker bag, I figured out how to attach the top edge without all the hassle. Also made some book covers and a little sewing kit. The sewing kit instructions were atrocious. I just figured out what would work and did it my way and it turned out fine. I'm not usually too excited about the color combinations, really prefer to choose from my stash.

  19. #19
    Moderator littlehud's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    SW Iowa
    Posts
    32,958
    I love my kits. They have all been from Connecting Threads and I have never been disappointed. They always send extra fabric.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

SEO by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.