Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   lining position seam (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/lining-position-seam-t634.html)

patricej 02-26-2007 02:01 PM

don't give him any ideas

LOL

ceannastahr 02-26-2007 03:45 PM

I have come to the conclusion there is no right or wrong in quilting nor are there any mistakes. Its all love

Country Quilter 02-26-2007 04:05 PM

No quilt police in my house! I do what saves material!!!

k_jupiter 02-26-2007 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by Norah
Carol, now you got the idea, although I do have to bow to Tim. He is the guru.

Not quite.

But having thought about it, to put in a false seam to balance the two sides of the back of your quilt, and make it look asthetically pleasing, there is no need to cut the wide fabric.

Measure over the width of the narrow piece, and fold right side to right side. Whip on down a 1/4 "seam", press flat. Voilla! Instant seam. cost you exactly 1/2inch of fabric, about three minutes of time, and you'll never have to answer why the seam is offset on the back.

tim in san jose

kathy 02-27-2007 03:51 AM

MAN i'm slow,! i just now got it! thanks for repeating yourself tim

mimisharon 02-27-2007 05:39 AM

Kathy, you're not slow at all, just distracted by all the chickens and stuff going into your own quilt. lol lol

Carol, I've nearly always pieced the back of my quilts, also. I've done 44 inch center with two side strips to even it out to the edges, I've done 20 inch squares in a complementary pattern to the front, just depends on how soon I stopped the piecing on the front. It it ends up bigger than I anticipated, then I center the main fabric, leaving "seams" to equal portions on either side. Clear as mud?

Tim be the man on this one! Save the fabric where you can, unless it's going to cause confusion and more tough decisions on another quilt. Right, Tim?

:shock:
Sharon

marmar 02-28-2007 08:39 AM

Have been busy with the book on machine quilting by Diane Gaudynski and she says she never worries about where the seam is on the back of a quilt. She has won so many 1st place awards with her machine quilting and she writes a book full of good advice. I keep getting it from the library but should get my own.

Yvonne 02-28-2007 08:52 AM

While attending the "Quilting in the Garden" show in Livermore, Ca., I got to checking out the backs of quilts. Amazing what some of the backs looked like.
Sometimes it looked as if the quilter just put on left over fabrics that they didn't like! Sometimes the back coordinated with the front. Some had many seams and others were so careful to be certain everything was symmetrical.

Bottom line, in my opinion, it's anything goes! Don't worry! Be happy!! :lol: I think that's the *rule* for all quilting!!!

marmar 02-28-2007 09:08 AM

Yvonne, I think you're right about anything goes. Most rules are made to be broken, huh! :twisted: