Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   LOG CABIN BLOCKS WITH SASHING (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/log-cabin-blocks-sashing-t105682.html)

Lobster 03-07-2011 01:23 PM

Now that is a really lovely block. The sashing fabrics look too bright to me. Have you considered pale cream or a deeper green, something a little darker than your darkest green so far? Or perhaps a green that's a bit darker than that darkest green but not as light as the other greens. One thing that stands out to me is that the darkest green is noticeably darker than the rest of the fabrics. There's nothing wrong with that, it can add a lovely effect, but it's something to be aware of.

Something I find very useful for this sort of job is Joen Wolfrom's 3-in-1 Color Wheel. It helps you understand colour theory, get the right colour, and the right amount of black/white/grey in it.

CoriAmD 03-09-2011 08:27 AM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Lobster
Now that is a really lovely block. The sashing fabrics look too bright to me. Have you considered pale cream or a deeper green, something a little darker than your darkest green so far? Or perhaps a green that's a bit darker than that darkest green but not as light as the other greens. One thing that stands out to me is that the darkest green is noticeably darker than the rest of the fabrics. There's nothing wrong with that, it can add a lovely effect, but it's something to be aware of.

Something I find very useful for this sort of job is Joen Wolfrom's 3-in-1 Color Wheel. It helps you understand colour theory, get the right colour, and the right amount of black/white/grey in it.

Lobster - I couldn't agree with you more. The one green was too much and the sashing colors didn't work at all when I made a sample. Good thing is, now I have the start of another quilt using the yellow and green.. :) This is the direction I am leaning now... changed the block and found some "brownish green" (which reads brown when next to the block) for the sashing. Just have to make 12 more blocks and I will be out of fabric so I will probably add some kind of border to make it big enough. WILL NOT go shopping for this one - it will all come from my stash.

Lobster 03-09-2011 03:04 PM

Ah yes, much better. Not sure about the cornerstone fabric, but it's hard to tell from a little example, plus I have tinted glasses on right now (long story, look up darkness therapy if you're curious) so I can't see colours properly for the rest of the evening.

CoriAmD 03-09-2011 03:27 PM

Stay tuned for even more changes.... I found some other material I am using for the center square which allows me to make not 12, but 24 more blocks. I will alternate the different blocks. The corner stone is the same as the center of the block. But I will also be alternating those with the other centers. Happy now that I can make it larger, still thinking about the border. may or may not use one now that I can go bigger. Will post photos tomorrow or Friday

CoriAmD 03-09-2011 03:28 PM

Stay tuned for even more changes.... I found some other material I am using for the center square which allows me to make not 12, but 24 more blocks. I will alternate the different blocks. The corner stone is the same as the center of the block. But I will also be alternating those with the other centers. Happy now that I can make it larger, still thinking about the border. may or may not use one now that I can go bigger. Will post photos tomorrow or Friday

CoriAmD 03-09-2011 03:28 PM

oops, didn't mean to post twice

CoriAmD 03-10-2011 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by slstitcher
If you have enough blocks could you put four together to make a design and than use sashing? Just a thought.

Thanks, slstitcher! I like that idea! I think that is how I will end up doing it. :)