Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Look what I found! Grandmas unfinished quilt top. (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/look-what-i-found-grandmas-unfinished-quilt-top-t97105.html)

Cindy2sew 02-05-2011 06:51 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I found this unfinished quilt top several days ago while going through some old boxes at moms house. Its a double knit (remember that stuff?) and approx a double size. I figure she must have made this in the 70's.
I want to finish it but I dont know how to deal with a quilt that has points on the sides due to the squares she used. Should I just square it up to have straight sides or try to keep the points?

Cindy

mrspete 02-05-2011 06:54 PM

what a delight! I remember, and when it is finished it will be extra warm and heavy. I've got a pile of poly that I don't know what to do with, but not a quilt. Show it again when you are through. The diagonal look is beautiful. Is that around the world pattern?

sueisallaboutquilts 02-05-2011 06:56 PM

I heard those polyester quilts are super warm!! What a treasure you found from your Grandmother!! :D

CoriAmD 02-05-2011 06:56 PM

Sorry, I don't have any advice for you (although I would probably square it up - just my opinion) but I just want to say, that is one very pretty quilt!
But, oh my..... this makes me want to get out all those UFO's and finish them! I am not sure my grandkids would know what to do with them..... ha ha ha :)

SandyinZ4 02-05-2011 06:57 PM

Just a goofy idea but perhaps you could find some more double-knit and fill in the spaces with trangles. Then you would have straight edges. I am sure there is still a lot of that polyester around lurking in sewing rooms all over the country.

littlehud 02-05-2011 06:59 PM

That is a wonderful quilt. And will bring back great memories of Grandma. I would square it up and finish it.

MisDixie 02-05-2011 07:03 PM

Oh dose that take me back. I made my first quilt with poly squares just like those. We called it crimpoline. I was nine and that was a very long time ago. The backings almost gone, along with Grammies quilting stiches, but the crimpoline is hanging in strong!!!! Thanks for the memories!

Cindy2sew 02-05-2011 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by mrspete
what a delight! I remember, and when it is finished it will be extra warm and heavy. I've got a pile of poly that I don't know what to do with, but not a quilt. Show it again when you are through. The diagonal look is beautiful. Is that around the world pattern?

I am not sure what the pattern is called. The picture is taken lengthwise if that is any help. I do believe that everyone is correct about squaring it up though.

Cindy

quilttiludrop 02-05-2011 07:21 PM

I would square it up for ease! And for backing fabric, if you use fleece then you wouldn't need batting (IMHO).

quilttiludrop 02-05-2011 07:22 PM

The pattern is called "Around The World".