Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Look what I found! Grandmas unfinished quilt top.

I found this unfinished quilt top several days ago while going through some old boxes at moms house. Its a double knit (remember that stuff?) and approx a double size. I figure she must have made this in the 70's.
    I want to finish it but I dont know how to deal with a quilt that has points on the sides due to the squares she used. Should I just square it up to have straight sides or try to keep the points?

Cindy
    Attached Images Attached Images

what a delight! I remember, and when it is finished it will be extra warm and heavy. I've got a pile of poly that I don't know what to do with, but not a quilt. Show it again when you are through. The diagonal look is beautiful. Is that around the world pattern?

Power Poster sueisallaboutquilts's Avatar
    I heard those polyester quilts are super warm!! What a treasure you found from your Grandmother!! :D

Sorry, I don't have any advice for you (although I would probably square it up - just my opinion) but I just want to say, that is one very pretty quilt!
    But, oh my..... this makes me want to get out all those UFO's and finish them! I am not sure my grandkids would know what to do with them..... ha ha ha :)

Blog Entries
    Just a goofy idea but perhaps you could find some more double-knit and fill in the spaces with trangles. Then you would have straight edges. I am sure there is still a lot of that polyester around lurking in sewing rooms all over the country.

That is a wonderful quilt. And will bring back great memories of Grandma. I would square it up and finish it.

Oh dose that take me back. I made my first quilt with poly squares just like those. We called it crimpoline. I was nine and that was a very long time ago. The backings almost gone, along with Grammies quilting stiches, but the crimpoline is hanging in strong!!!! Thanks for the memories!

Quote Originally Posted by mrspete
    what a delight! I remember, and when it is finished it will be extra warm and heavy. I've got a pile of poly that I don't know what to do with, but not a quilt. Show it again when you are through. The diagonal look is beautiful. Is that around the world pattern?
    I am not sure what the pattern is called. The picture is taken lengthwise if that is any help. I do believe that everyone is correct about squaring it up though.

Cindy

I would square it up for ease! And for backing fabric, if you use fleece then you wouldn't need batting (IMHO).

The pattern is called "Around The World".

I have one of those, too! My grandmother made it in the 70's, in an around the world pattern. I weighs about 20 lbs! It's just the top, I think it would be way too heavy to finish and quilt-we use it when we go to the beach.

How lovely! Square it up and finish it off! My MIL has one made from poly that her mother made...it is very heavy .... no batting ... poly back and is tied with yarn....and still looks new and I know for a fact it has been used and washed a ton!

LOL. At least poly has a use for something...Warmth! And it stands up to numerous washings......:)
    Does anyone else remember the polyester pans suits?

Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by Cindy2sew
    LOL. At least poly has a use for something...Warmth! And it stands up to numerous washings......:)
    Does anyone else remember the polyester pans suits?

Cindy
    LOL. I meant pants!

Yes, even the men wore them!

She did such a beautiful job. It will wear like iron !! I say square it up. And tie it. Lovely !! Would of been nice to be under this cold winter :)

The two young men that were users in my wedding wore baby blue leisure suits.

I think it is a beautiful quilt with lovely, bright colors. I would finish it and treasure it. Who knows poly may come back into style with the prices of cotton! I have one DGD who loves poly: she is 25 and has loved it since she was young especially bell bottoms!

Blog Entries
    I would square it up and finish it :D:D:D
    What a GREAT treasure!!

Blog Entries
    Great colors!

In person the color are more vivid than in the photo. Absolute treasure from Grandma. I hope I can do her justice for a great piece. :)

Cindy

Quote Originally Posted by SandyinZ4
    Just a goofy idea but perhaps you could find some more double-knit and fill in the spaces with trangles. Then you would have straight edges. I am sure there is still a lot of that polyester around lurking in sewing rooms all over the country.
    Actually, I see it all the time at thrift stores. People don't use it for clothing anymore so the seamtress is getting rid of it.

I would square it up. Making a bias binding and sewing it on is more than I would want to deal with. If kids may use it those points would be an easy spot to get ripped if they pulled on it to much.

That is a great find! The poly quilts last forever. I have one that my gma made for me. Shes been gone 25 years but the quilt is going strong...like a hug from Grandma.

If the squares were larger I would say to keep the serrated edges, but with those tiny squares binding it would be a real pain in the ...everywhere. So, I will say square it up and quilt it lightly. If you over quilt it you may stretch it. Those knits are hard to work with but very much worth it. She did a great job matching her corners. is it machine pieced?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast