Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Low priced (cheap) buttons anywhere? (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/low-priced-cheap-buttons-anywhere-t19080.html)

PrettyKitty 04-17-2009 12:17 AM

I used to collect buttons when I was little. I think my box of buttons is still at my Mom and Dad's house, stashed away somewhere. I love buttons! I almost called one of my cats 'Button'.

PamH 04-17-2009 05:29 AM

What a great site.. I will be ordering some from there too and good prices on the rick rack too. A shopping I'm going to do!!!!

ButtercreamCakeArtist 04-17-2009 05:40 AM

Sometimes I will purchase an item at a yard sale or thrift store for the buttons. The shirt or dress may be horrid, but I cut off the buttons and get rid of the item. If it is of good quality fabric and pretty, I cut the item up into squares. I usually pay 50 cents or a quarter for these items, so...pretty good deal.

Jerrie 04-17-2009 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by pittsburgpam
Jerrie,

What a great site! I just looked at the novelty buttons and they have prices of like $4 for 50 buttons!?!?

I went by Joann's today to pick up some fabric for a purse and I got 16 buttons, 8 of each, and one was $1 for 2 of them and the other was $1.75 for 4 of them.

I think I will be placing an order at this site when I look over fabric and the patterns again to make sure what I want.

Thank you!

don't forget to order the catalog, they have more buttons and things on it than the website so if you like the site just imagine the catalog have fun i just love that company

Mousie 04-17-2009 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
Thanks Barb - I've got loads of ugly old buttons - I think I'll try that..! Ha, I love it when my hoarding instinct is justified (DH - why an earth are you hanging on to THOSE???!!!) Ha! Double Ha! :wink:

K x

Ohhh, if I had a dollar for every time i heard that!!! I'd fly to France and come visit, K!!! after you get back from England! Hope you have fun. :D

Tippy 04-17-2009 01:49 PM

WalMart carries little bags of buttons at the bottom of their button racks.
I keep a tin with "spare" buttons in it around here somewhere.. what kind of buttons are you looking for? any particular color.

Chele 04-17-2009 01:55 PM

Great site Jerrie! I bookmarked it! Thank you! I'm loving all these fabric-covered button everyone is making. http://www.craftpudding.com/2007/06/...-tutorial.html

butterflywing 04-17-2009 02:04 PM

if you want to be creative use beads. bring your thread up through the fabric, through the hole and back into the fabric. you can also use little sticks (i have done that - very hippy looking). just come up, wind around the stick or twig and back down, a few times. make sure the stick is rough.
buttons don't have to be buttons. a really GREAT thing to use is old keys. they look fantastic. i made my dd a vest that closes with old keys. if it wasn't gone, i'd post.

nut, bolts, springs, etc. visit the hardware store. anything that goes through and hangs down (ooops!).

you can even use safety pins by slipping them sideways through the buttonhole. they're lots of fun.

Skeat 04-17-2009 04:14 PM

I love buttons and huge jars of the oldies..but, don't hardley use them:)But, am always looking for a deal on buttons too....for kid bags, etc. Thanks for the sites!!

Did anyone remember reading the book like I did about the girl that was allowed to keep a button out of her grandmother's button box??She picked a little man button and she put the button in her shirt pocket and on her walk home, he started talking to her:)I so wish I had kept that book for my kids!! I am sure that is why I love buttons too:)Skeat

bkw 04-20-2009 05:28 AM

if i need alot of buttons cheap, i go to the good will store and buy used clothes with really cool buttons, cut them off and discard the clothing. this is sometimes cheaper then purchasing them at the fabric store. hope this helped you out.