Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Making Curved Corners w/out the Curved Corner Ruler??-HELP!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/making-curved-corners-w-out-curved-corner-ruler-help-t182081.html)

cny_sewer39 03-08-2012 11:57 AM

Making Curved Corners w/out the Curved Corner Ruler??-HELP!!

Good Afternoon Every1,

I hope that all is well with you & your families. I know that there are ALOT of good ideas, but right now I am CLUELESS. lololol. I am making quilts for my local Project Linus Chapter. I would like to make the corners of the quilts curved. I hope that it will make putting the binding on alot easier and faster. I am OPEN to ANY & ALL suggestions. Please & Thank you in advance. Please keep the ideas coming. I eagerly await your suggestions.

Thank you again.

Have a blessed day.

debra

lakekids 03-08-2012 12:26 PM

Use a saucer or plate to mark the curve - DO NOT cut it at that time. You will have to use bias binding to go around the curve. Attach the first side of the binding before you cut away the corner on the curved line.

Scissor Queen 03-08-2012 12:35 PM

Straight binding is a lot easier to do than bias binding. You have to do bias binding around curves.

QuiltnNan 03-08-2012 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Scissor Queen (Post 5042517)
Straight binding is a lot easier to do than bias binding. You have to do bias binding around curves.

ditto !

Sew N Tune 03-08-2012 01:25 PM

Ditto 2. Leave them square, or beware...

ghostrider 03-08-2012 01:41 PM

Nonsense, bias binding is just as easy as straight of grain binding....easy to make your own or even easier to use ready made. If you want to make rounded corners, or even scalloped edges, I say go for it! Why let a simple shape boss you around?? :)

ckcowl 03-08-2012 01:43 PM

i used to always (round) my corners---bias binding is not harder than straight- it is alot easier to ease bias binding around a curve than to do a mitered corner-
i use a saucer & a rotory cutter & make my corners rounded- and make bias binding to curve around the rounded corners.

auntpiggylpn 03-08-2012 05:27 PM

The last baby quilt I made, I decided that it would look better with rounded corners. I was right! I sandwiched and quilted the whole thing. Then I layed a dinner plate down on each corner and cut around the plate with my rotary cutter. I had never used bias binding before either let alone make it from scratch! I found a great SIMPLE tute on the internet that showed how to cut the fabric on the bias. I thought it was a dream to attach the binding and really considering using bias binding on my next quilt even though it has straight sides.

valleyquiltermo 03-08-2012 05:32 PM

I have a binding machine and I prefer doing curve corners on it than straight. I do the straight on my reg machine.

jcrow 03-08-2012 05:45 PM

Bravo for trying something new!!! Makes me want to try it. Good luck! The plate sounds like a great idea!!