Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My first quilt starts friday!! (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-first-quilt-starts-friday-t29293.html)

samroberts01 11-25-2009 08:00 AM

Well I am going out on friday and buying my essentials to start my first quilt, so I want any input on essentials that you may have I have the list of what I need, but wanted to know if there is anything I should have that makes it easier or that you have found works best. I am soooo excited to start quilting I can hardly stand it! I am going to do a race car quilt for my son as my first I found a pattern from one of the links you ladies posted for me I am just changing up the fabric to make it a race car quilt. Thanks again all!

Lisa_wanna_b_quilter 11-25-2009 08:01 AM

Most essential items are patience and determination. You WILL make mistakes. Shake them off, rip out the seam and do it again. :)

sewnsewer2 11-25-2009 08:13 AM

Make sure you have a self mending mat and a rotary cutter and a quilt ruler.

Just have fun, take your time and most important is...

MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE! :D :D

Post your progress, we wanna see.

bebe 11-25-2009 08:31 AM

Get a Olfa mat the biggest you can afford, a 45mm rotary cutter extra blades, a seam ripper Clover has a good one, long pins, paper and thread cutting scissors. a long and a square ruler, thread. My suggestion is buy the best you can afford. :D :D :D :D

JoAnns has a good sale going. :D

KBunn 11-25-2009 08:33 AM

A rotary cutter and mat is important....but if it'syour first quilt or 100th...make sure you have a seam ripper. You will make mistakes but that is part of the adventure of quilting. Just be patient and you will enjoy it so much!

Naturalmama 11-25-2009 09:03 AM

I'm working on my first too! Obviously I don't have the experience that the others do, but I want to add that a can of spray starch is wonderful! After you wash the fabric, starch & iron it - it makes it so easy to piece the fabric together!

Mplsgirl 11-25-2009 09:23 AM

Originally Posted by samroberts01
Well I am going out on friday and buying my essentials to start my first quilt, so I want any input on essentials that you may have I have the list of what I need, but wanted to know if there is anything I should have that makes it easier or that you have found works best. I am soooo excited to start quilting I can hardly stand it! I am going to do a race car quilt for my son as my first I found a pattern from one of the links you ladies posted for me I am just changing up the fabric to make it a race car quilt. Thanks again all!

Congratulations!!! You will have a wonderful time. And yes, good advice so far.

Chele 11-25-2009 09:26 AM

Good luck to you first time quilters! How exciting! You're going to have so much fun! And promise you don't blame us if this quilting thing takes over your life (and guest room, and closet, under the bed...). It's all worth it! :wink:

kwhite 11-25-2009 09:35 AM

Starch twice Cut once.

samroberts01 11-25-2009 10:05 AM

Thanks all for the tips I am going to start a list. Another question I know I am suppose to pre wash the fabric, but do I starch and iron before I cut?? Or after?