Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: My first quilt starts friday!!

Well I am going out on friday and buying my essentials to start my first quilt, so I want any input on essentials that you may have I have the list of what I need, but wanted to know if there is anything I should have that makes it easier or that you have found works best. I am soooo excited to start quilting I can hardly stand it! I am going to do a race car quilt for my son as my first I found a pattern from one of the links you ladies posted for me I am just changing up the fabric to make it a race car quilt. Thanks again all!

Super Member Lisa_wanna_b_quilter's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Most essential items are patience and determination. You WILL make mistakes. Shake them off, rip out the seam and do it again. :)

Make sure you have a self mending mat and a rotary cutter and a quilt ruler.

Just have fun, take your time and most important is...

MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE! :D :D

Post your progress, we wanna see.

Get a Olfa mat the biggest you can afford, a 45mm rotary cutter extra blades, a seam ripper Clover has a good one, long pins, paper and thread cutting scissors. a long and a square ruler, thread. My suggestion is buy the best you can afford. :D :D :D :D

JoAnns has a good sale going. :D

A rotary cutter and mat is important....but if it'syour first quilt or 100th...make sure you have a seam ripper. You will make mistakes but that is part of the adventure of quilting. Just be patient and you will enjoy it so much!

I'm working on my first too! Obviously I don't have the experience that the others do, but I want to add that a can of spray starch is wonderful! After you wash the fabric, starch & iron it - it makes it so easy to piece the fabric together!

Quote Originally Posted by samroberts01
    Well I am going out on friday and buying my essentials to start my first quilt, so I want any input on essentials that you may have I have the list of what I need, but wanted to know if there is anything I should have that makes it easier or that you have found works best. I am soooo excited to start quilting I can hardly stand it! I am going to do a race car quilt for my son as my first I found a pattern from one of the links you ladies posted for me I am just changing up the fabric to make it a race car quilt. Thanks again all!
    Congratulations!!! You will have a wonderful time. And yes, good advice so far.

Good luck to you first time quilters! How exciting! You're going to have so much fun! And promise you don't blame us if this quilting thing takes over your life (and guest room, and closet, under the bed...). It's all worth it! :wink:

Starch twice Cut once.

Thanks all for the tips I am going to start a list. Another question I know I am suppose to pre wash the fabric, but do I starch and iron before I cut?? Or after?

Always starch and iron BEFORE you cut, it's the only way you will get accurate pieces. Also, don't know if you will have any triangles, but if you do, starch the heck out of them so they don't stretch! One thing I didn't see was straight pins. The ones with the ball on the end are easiest to grab quick before they under the needle!

Thanks! You all have been so helpfull you dont even know!

Another quick question what color bobbin thread do you use?? Not sure what i have to coordinate that with. My mom gave me the machine the other day but it is out of bobbin thread, so need to get it.

When I am piecing I use neutral thread top and bobbin. Beige for light fabrics and smoky for dark fabrics. If I'm in doubt I use beige. If you are not free motion quilting, just piecing no one will see the bobbin thread anyway.

Ok thanks so much!

Blog Entries
    Starch and press before you cut. After cutting you want to handle the cut pieces as little as possible.

My advice: Make a practice block. That way you can test out the pattern, get familiar with the pattern, AND measure your seams. Depending on the pattern. a 1/4" seam may matter or it may not. It is nice to know what the seam is though.

What pattern are you doing? You might get pattern-specific advice that way.

Have fun don't fret, and show us pics.

As for the thread, I use beige or light grey for the top and the bobbin. Depending on the color of the block, I may use up bobbin thread and take a "devil may care" attitude.

Here is the pattern I am looking at doing, it seems simple enough, I am going to do black and white for the checkerboard blocks then try to find a car themed fabric for the other blocks. Let me know what you guys think and what if any advice you have on it.

http://www.quickquilts.com/patterns/...s.html?idx=255

Also thinking of doing the gold border in black and maybe the thicker border in red or blue depending on the car fabric i select.

My only advise is when you are sewing your strips together for the 16 patch, be careful that you don't bow the strips. I have no idea how to prevent it, because mine ALWAYS end up bowed and it can affect how your squares come out! Ask me how I know. :roll: :oops:

Hmmm.. wonder why this is.

I'm sure someone on here can answer! I think it has to do with pressing after sewing. Next time I'm going to try to dry press, rather than use steam.

I always had good luck sewing strips together (if more than 2) in opposite directions. Did this when I did a Trip Around the World and they came out fine. Don't know if this helps.

Blog Entries
    Practice getting an accurate 1/4" seam. Be sure and not veer off at the end of the seam. Using the leader and ender method is a great habit to have.

http://www.quiltville.com/leadersenders.shtml

I sew strips together by reversing the stitch order from top to bottom and then I press the seams open. If I have a lot of strips to sew together I sew from the middle of the strips to each end. That stops the bowing.

Blog Entries
    If you press each set so the seams in each individual row nest into each other when sewing the rows together, that makes the corners match better. (It may include pressing a seam toward the light fabric rather than the dark.)

When you sew the rows together, mark the side you nees to sew. If you sew the wrong sides, your pattern will be off. Ask me how I know. lol

How exciting! Good luck - and watch this board - it is amazing what you can learn here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast