Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My husband just doesnt understand (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-husband-just-doesnt-understand-t160129.html)

Karen Powell 10-13-2011 08:24 AM

My husband just doesnt get it. He doenst see the value in what I do. Sewing is like breathing for me. Fabric runs through my hands like water. I do sew custom professhionaly and it is my job . Has been for many years. We built an addition for a sewing studieo 10 years ago and I is still sitting full of junk un finished. I do window treatments, cornice boards, custom bedding , slipcovers ... You name I have made it. What the heck ! I feel so let down. Frustrated to tears ? ? ? What is a woman to do ? Any one ?

Rhaorth 10-13-2011 08:26 AM

don't worry about him not seeing the value in it, it is your passion, not his.

as for the studio still sitting full of junk unfinished do you mean the room is unfinished or your projects are unfinished?

If the room is unfinished, get him to finish it or hire someone to come finish it.

emerald46 10-13-2011 08:26 AM

If you can, hire someone to finish the project and get on with your God given talent!!

feffertim 10-13-2011 08:27 AM

If he doesn't want to finish it for you, then you have no option but to hire a handyman to do the job. I think 10 years is long enough to wait. Just take on the project yourself and find someone to do what you need

Crqltr 10-13-2011 08:28 AM

Tell him you are going to use the sewing profits to hire some one to finish the room, if that does not motivate him then hire it done....

Karen Powell 10-13-2011 08:29 AM

It has drywall hard wood floors windows celing fan Big TV Flat screen Where he watches TV, Usually football or basball all the time. It is 18 X 24 feet.

LeslieFrost 10-13-2011 08:30 AM

Hmmmm... You didn't say what your husband did or said that brought on this funkish feeling now....

Anyway, since you have been doing this successfully so long, I think you should adopt an attitude of sailing right by him, confident that you are doing the right thing and ignoring his not understanding (so far as possible).

It seems to me that you need to take charge of the sewing studio that never got finished and get it fixed up. It is maybe too large a project for one person? Do you have a couple of girl friends who might be induced to come over for a day to help? You could bribe them with goodies! Put on some great music and just whale in there. Throw things away with abandon! Fill up the garage instead! Make yourself some room. Don't ask for hubby's help until absolutely necessary. Just do it.

Granny Quilter 10-13-2011 08:32 AM

Since you do all those things, you can finish the sewing studio yourself and make your job more pleasant. Men have a different kind of brain than we women do. Do what you enjoy and don't expect him to understand.

Rhaorth 10-13-2011 08:33 AM

hmmm so the problem is that you are having to share the space with him, when it was supposed to be just for your sewing?

Is there anywhere else that he can put his stuff?
Is there another room you could claim as yours for your sewing?

Have you sat down and discussed this with him, letting him know just how much it is hurting you that you are not getting your space?

fabrichore 10-13-2011 08:35 AM

Big ((HUG)) for you, and that is his issue that he does not understand, you do and that is all that matters...sorry you are sad...