Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My quilt is TOO SMALL (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-quilt-too-small-t200714.html)

MaryKatherine 09-17-2012 04:01 AM

My quilt is TOO SMALL

1 Attachment(s)
I made a lovely OBW that we use on our bed, but my hubby is a cover thief. I'm going to add another border. I don't have any more of the original material but I do have more of the green strip that's in the small border.
I'd like to add almost a foot all around but wonder if that's too much. more stripes would be awful. Suggestions?
MaryKatherine

ArtsyOne 09-17-2012 04:06 AM

I wonder if perhaps a blue floral with the same scale/feel would work? The reason I say blue is because it would be next to the existing blue border. By the way, it's really beautiful!

mermaid 09-17-2012 04:15 AM

I think the green would work fine--even better if you could applique a few colorful flowers on the wide border. But even better IMO would be a piano keys border with strips of all the colors used in the quilt. You'd only need about 12" strips of ea sewn to make yardage. You could make the keys as wide as you liked. It would be boldly striking!

ontheriver 09-17-2012 04:17 AM

We have the same problem but I am the thief. Got tired of his complaining so I made myself a quilt. I put his on his side and mine on my side. A large quilt is the spread, covers all when bed is made, we fold it down at night. Problem solved, I can wrap up all I want and never bother his covers.

Annaquilts 09-17-2012 04:22 AM

Such a lovely quilt. Make another one but big enough for the bed or make another one for him and you hog this one.

Barb in Louisiana 09-17-2012 04:40 AM

Your quilt is just gorgeous. I am always curious to see the fabric the OBW started from, so always felt I would buy extra yardage to do a border, or part of a border. Since you don't have that, I agree with picking any of the border fabrics & you applique some big free form flowers of the colors in the quilt. Guys don't usually want feminine, flowery stuff around them, so something totally different like 9 patches, or HST's to give you a ric rac feeling to the last border would be unique & none girly. Another possibility - log cabin blocks using all the colors in the quilt would give you quite a unique border. I love the artsy look of mixing the patterns.

Oh, I do agree with the comment on keep this one the way it is & make another.

LisaGibbs 09-17-2012 04:43 AM

I would leave the quilt just as it is and make another quilt big enough for the bed or get him a Walmart blanket--LOL. I have the same problem at my house so when my husband rotates to midnight shift he doesn't understand why I sleep better. That is such a beautiful quilt just the way it is I would figure out a plan B.

QuiltnNan 09-17-2012 04:46 AM

beautiful quilt. if you have the blue flowers, a border of that, then the green. if not, then appliqueing on the green like previously suggested

JenelTX 09-17-2012 05:02 AM

A solid dark blue would really make this pop.

AlienQuilter 09-17-2012 05:06 AM

Do you have enough of the fabric leftover to make a few of the blocks and applique them randomly on the border fabric?

Or fussy cut shapes out of the main fabric to applique.

BTW, beautiful quilt!