Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   My wife received a quilt that was done by her great grandmother (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/my-wife-received-quilt-done-her-great-grandmother-t160898.html)

Fixedgearhead 10-16-2011 12:56 PM

We are currently in N.C. And visited a relative who had possession of a lot of stuff that has been passed down from deceased relatives. She was given two things of imense value to her. One was the large family Bible, from the 1900's and the other item is a quilt sewn by her great grandmother. The quilt is of the flying geese pattern in blue against a white background. Within that pattern is the name of the woman, her great grandmother, and her husband, her great grandfather, and the date 1930. The quilt is in pretty good shape, with one exception. In the very center is what appears to be a small spot of blood which has penetated through to the back side. I will post a picture of the quilt upon our return home. Needless today, my wife is absolutely thrilled. I am wondering if there are any good ideas for the removal of the blood spot, or whatever it is. I have had good luck removing blood spots from cloth with "zout" and other oxygenated cleaners, but I don't want to completely wash this quilt due to the age and importance of the quilt. Any ideas?
John

LoriEl 10-16-2011 01:12 PM

No ideas for the spot but can hardly wait to see the quilt!

GRANNYMO 10-16-2011 01:16 PM

peroxide applied with a qtip.

QuiltnNan 10-16-2011 01:17 PM

dissolve some oxiclean and dab it carefully with a swab. put paper towel under to minimize the spread of liquid

annthreecats 10-16-2011 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by GRANNYMO

I agree with GrannyMo.

fayzer 10-16-2011 01:21 PM

I have a friend that owns a big swim suit shop. To remove blood, make-up, stains of any kind, they use Resolve carpet cleaner in a spray bottle. I couldn't believe how that stuff removes stains without harming the fabrics until I saw it with my own eyes.

icon17 10-16-2011 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Fixedgearhead
We are currently in N.C. And visited a relative who had possession of a lot of stuff that has been passed down from deceased relatives. She was given two things of imense value to her. One was the large family Bible, from the 1900's and the other item is a quilt sewn by her great grandmother. The quilt is of the flying geese pattern in blue against a white background. Within that pattern is the name of the woman, her great grandmother, and her husband, her great grandfather, and the date 1930. The quilt is in pretty good shape, with one exception. In the very center is what appears to be a small spot of blood which has penetated through to the back side. I will post a picture of the quilt upon our return home. Needless today, my wife is absolutely thrilled. I am wondering if there are any good ideas for the removal of the blood spot, or whatever it is. I have had good luck removing blood spots from cloth with "zout" and other oxygenated cleaners, but I don't want to completely wash this quilt due to the age and importance of the quilt. Any ideas?
John

what about trying Hydrogen peroxide

MostlyMaja 10-16-2011 01:45 PM

yeah, I agree with the hydrogen peroxide. It gets rid of rust stains too.

dinlauren 10-16-2011 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by GRANNYMO

After you apply the peroxide you need to thoroughly wash out the peroxide or it will eat through the fabric.

auntmag 10-16-2011 02:21 PM

Try Oxyclean it works wonders.