Quiltingboard Forums

Quiltingboard Forums (https://www.quiltingboard.com/)
-   Main (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/)
-   -   Need advice quilting leaves (https://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1/need-advice-quilting-leaves-t120231.html)

Homespun 05-03-2011 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by sewcrafty
What about doing a lattice pattern, so it looks like the leaves are climbing on a trellis?

I like this idea.

dd 05-04-2011 04:41 AM

You've gotten a lot of advice here. Have you decided what to do? I feel like we are almost overwhelming you with suggestions. Can't wait to see a pic of the finished quilt. Good luck.

jillaine 05-04-2011 05:15 AM

I want to try the fmq but have to fix the feed dogs (feed the fixed dogs?) first. In mean time working on other projects; today I am downtown temping.
Thanks!

dd 05-04-2011 03:43 PM

If you feed them, they may be more cooperative.lol

debcavan 05-04-2011 03:55 PM

Unless you appliqued those leaves, don't worry about it.

jillaine 05-05-2011 06:23 PM

Update:
Fixed my machine (with a HAMMER, for goodness sake-- the sewing machine equivalent of kicking the TV!)

So I can now lower my feed dogs, and WHOAH!!! The person who said that it takes awhile to learn FMQ is right!!! I had no idea how tricky it would be. So THAT's not going to happen with THIS quilt.

I then tried "FMQ" with the feed dogs up in normal position. I can make this work on a small piece of fabric, but not sure I cane make it work on the lapsize quilt. Gotta move the fabric around so much!

A number of you have lked the idea of a lattice design.

Could someone point me to a template, or example of a trellis design for the quilting? Thanks.

-- Jillaine

dd 05-06-2011 04:51 AM

The Hammer ~ that's called percussive maintainance.

The trellis - Use your ruler to draw diagonal lines both ways across your quilt, you should wind up with diamond shapes. I use Crayola washable markers. They come in great colors that show up on every color fabric. Then just stitch on the lines. Guess you could make them straight across and up & down but I think the diagonal lines would be more appealing to the eye. Good luck. Glad you got your machine fixed.lol

jillaine 05-06-2011 06:11 AM

would you do the trellis over the top of the leaves or only in the background?

dd 05-06-2011 06:58 AM

Why not some of each? That way it would look like the leaves are growing on both sides of the trellis. Oh, you might want to put two rows of stitching kinda close together to make it look like the wood of the trellis. Then the wider diamond spaces would look like the spaces between. But then again that is twice as much stitching and time and I know you are on a deadline.

dd 05-06-2011 06:58 AM

Why not some of each? That way it would look like the leaves are growing on both sides of the trellis. Oh, you might want to put two rows of stitching kinda close together to make it look like the wood of the trellis. Then the wider diamond spaces would look like the spaces between. But then again that is twice as much stitching and time and I know you are on a deadline.